Plant information Service routinely asks visitors to submit plant samples for accurate diagnoses and identifications. However, we will no longer allow samples of boxwood (Buxus), pachysandra (Pachysandra), and sweet box (Sarcococca) to be brought to the Garden, in order to prevent the spread of Boxwood Blight, a devastating fungal disease that affects these plants. Please feel free to contact us with questions on Boxwood Blight without bringing plant samples to the Garden.
You can also click here for more information on Boxwood Blight.
Email the Plant Information service for plant identification, or contact the Plant Information service during business hours on the Plant Information Hotline at (847) 835-0972.
Remember: Our diagnosis is only as good as your information.
In your email, please include as much of the following information as possible. Attach up to 3 photos of your specimen.
- Place the plant (or insect) was collected
- Date the plant (or insect) was collected
- Type of plant (tree, shrub, annual, perennial, etc.)
- Light exposure (sun, shade, part sun)
- Growth habit (prostrate, vine, upright, etc.)
- Description of flower (color, bloom time, etc.)