The Master Gardener Program is a community-based, all-volunteer organization sponsored by the University of Illinois Extension at Urbana-Champaign. The mission of this program is "helping others learn to grow." Master Gardeners are adults of all ages willing to share their interest in and knowledge of horticulture. We welcome your participation and look forward to receiving your application.
To become a certified Master Gardener at the Chicago Botanic Garden, you must do the following:
- Download and complete the Master Gardener Training Application
- Download and complete screening forms
- Attend a volunteer assignment interview
- Complete ten weeks of Master Gardener training
- Complete all quizzes (open book)
- Complete a final exam (open book)
- Attend a Chicago Botanic Garden volunteer orientation
- Complete 60 hours of Chicago Botanic Garden volunteer service within 2 years
Trainees must receive an 80 percent or higher cumulative average on quizzes and the final exam to continue on to the internship portion of the program.
Annual recertification requirements:
- 30 hours of horticulturally related volunteer service at the Chicago Botanic Garden
- 10 hours of approved education updates