The next on-site training will begin in January 2019.
Our next training sessions will begin in January 2019. If you would like to be notified when information for the next program is available, please click here.
The Master Gardener Program is a community-based, all-volunteer organization sponsored by the University of Illinois Extension at Urbana-Champaign. The mission of this program is "helping others learn to grow." Master Gardeners are adults of all ages willing to share their interest in and knowledge of horticulture. We welcome your participation and look forward to receiving your application.
To become a certified U of I Extension Master Gardener at the Chicago Botanic Garden, you must do the following:
- Complete the Master Gardener Training Application
- Complete the two background check forms
- Attend an information session and volunteer assignment interview
- Complete ten weeks of U of I Extension Master Gardener training
- Complete and pass all quizzes (open book)
- Complete and pass the final exam (open book)
- Attend a Chicago Botanic Garden volunteer orientation session
- Complete 60 hours of Chicago Botanic Garden volunteer service
Trainees must receive an 80 percent or higher cumulative average on quizzes and the final exam to continue on to the internship portion of the program.
Annual recertification requirements:
- 30 hours of program-approved volunteer service at the Chicago Botanic Garden
- 10 hours of approved education updates