Botanical Arts Certificate Program
Guidelines for students wishing to complete the Portfolio Review for a Certificate in Botanical Art, Expressive or Traditional Track
After completing or verging upon completion of all required coursework, certificate students will prepare and present a portfolio of original finished botanical artwork for review.
Please follow and check off the guidelines below as you prepare your portfolio.
- Complete or be in the final stages of completion for all coursework required in the Botanical Arts Certificate Program.
- Request a copy of your progress report to confirm coursework completion.
- Drop-off your portfolio at the scheduled date and time.
Preparing your Portfolio
As an introduction to your portfolio, please provide an artist statement. The artist statement should be concise and provide insight into you as an artist.
The complete portfolio will contain a minimum of (6) finished original botanical pieces.
- Graphite, one-piece minimum
- Watercolor, one-piece minimum
- One sketchbook that documents your progress from the start of the program.
Traditional Track Students:
- Pen and Ink, one-piece minimum
Expressive Track Students:
- Pastel or Oil, one-piece minimum
Remainder of the Portfolio is Artist’s Choice:
This can be a work in any of the media taught within the program. Please provide a broad representation of media (i.e. Pen and Ink, Pastel, Carbon Dust, Colored Pencil, Oils). We recommend a total of six to ten finished art pieces for the Portfolio Review.
The diversity, quality, and quantity of finished art pieces allow the review committee to properly review student portfolios and provide constructive and valuable feedback.
Please remember that the Portfolio Review is an opportunity to present your highest level of work in each medium. Therefore, please be selective about the artwork you submit for the portfolio review.
Your work must be presented unframed and matted or in a portfolio. No framed artwork will be accepted for the review process.
Please clearly label your finished botanical pieces and your sketchbook and ensure all submitted items include your name and contact information.
If you have any questions, please contact Carissa Ilg at Click here to show mail address