Warm weather has arrived, with planting season close behind. Learn from the experts to get your garden underway, watch helpful demonstrations and pick out some plants at the Chicago Botanic Garden’s Get Growing Weekend, from Friday, May 18, to Sunday, May 20.
With a variety of activities each day, everyone – from the beginning gardener to the seasoned planter – will find inspiration and advice.
Get Growing Weekend events include:
- Featured speaker Hear from Jeff Ross, artisan chef and farmstead educator. Ross will talk about the strong link between gardening and cooking, a connection he cultivates in the fields and kitchens at Blackberry Farm in Tennessee. “Eating Between the Rows” takes place on Friday, May 18, at 1 p.m. A book signing will follow the lecture. Buy tickets online. And if you miss Ross’s talk on Friday, come see his cooking demonstration on Saturday at 1 p.m.
- Plant sale New this year is a one-of-a-kind plant sale that will feature hundreds of specialty plants and unique items from across the country. The sale includes bromeliads from Florida, Japanese maples from the Pacific Northwest, historical plants, newly introduced plants, and ordinary plants grown in extraordinary ways. There will also be planters created and designed by horticultural celebrities, Garden staff and Women’s Board members available for purchase. Garden members have earliest access to the sale on Friday, May 18. Director’s Circle and President’s Circle members can get early access (tickets available online) from 10 a.m. to noon. All other members have access from noon to 4 p.m. On Saturday and Sunday, the sale is open to the public (while supplies last).
- Marketplace Find fresh produce, garden-related items and more at the marketplace on the Esplanade. Windy City Harvest will be on hand selling vegetables and cookbooks. The marketplace will also feature demonstrations from experts, teaching everything from how to grow kitchen herbs to creating containers for succulents.
- Plant giveaways Head over to the Regenstein Fruit & Vegetable Garden to receive a free plant to take home. The giveaway during Get Growing Weekend is the Cornito Giallo pepper. And stop by each month throughout the summer and fall for different plants available at the plant giveaways.
Other events at the Garden While you’re here at the Garden for Get Growing Weekend, check out some other great events going on:
- Model Railroad Garden – Opens May 12. Watch 18 trains running on 1,600 feet of track, past 50 American landmarks in our Model Railroad Garden. Hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily, weather permitting. Admission fee applies.
- Against Forgetting, by Penelope Gottlieb – Opens May 4. This exhibition of large, vibrant paintings of plants that have gone extinct, are endangered or invasive, conveys the sense of urgency in preserving natural environments. The exhibition is located in the Joutras Gallery of the Regenstein Center.
- Big Blooms—Orchids, by Paul Lange – Open now; runs until September 24. In Krehbiel Gallery of the Regenstein Center, see a collection of 18 large-scale images of beautiful and somewhat petite orchid blooms, skillfully photographed.