In this role you will be responsible for the following:
- Educate students ages 15–18 about organic growing techniques, including weeding, planting, and harvesting
- Facilitate team-building exercises
- Supervise students off-site during field trips and work, including traveling with or transporting participants to and from locations
- Assist teen crews with project-based learning opportunities in one area: farmers' markets, beekeeping, community outreach, or cooking/nutrition
- Provide detailed feedback at the end of each day for each teen participant based on emotional development and workplace professionalism
- Assist with other program and operational needs as assigned, such as meal/snack preparation and set-up, delivering produce, and securing daily supplies
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- At least two years of college completed.
- Experience working with youth; prior work in outdoor or experiential education a plus.
- Basic knowledge of horticulture and/or sustainable agriculture.
- Flexibility and comfort working with shifting demands and schedules. Working outdoors and in an urban farm setting is dynamic. Occasional evening, early, and Saturday shifts are part of this position.
- Possess a valid driver's license and have access to reliable transportation. Use of personal vehicle is required for this position.
- Willing and able to perform manual labor in all weather conditions, including rain and heat.
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Positive, can-do attitude and an interest in the intersection of youth development and urban agriculture.
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.