This position reports to the director, Content & Editorial, and will help provide marketing and communications in support of the Chicago Botanic Garden.
In this role you will be responsible for the following:
- Develop marketing-focused content that can be used across all channels and mediums, including print, digital, email, mobile, and social media, in support of the Chicago Botanic Garden.
- Contribute ideas and content for quarterly member magazine.
- Write blogs and social media content.
- Research and write content for ephemeral signs that are placed throughout the Garden. Position requires that the specialist also write the signs, so clear, legible handwriting is required.
- Help develop and execute highly conceptual solutions including print and digital campaigns that involve headlines, taglines, landing pages, newsletters, and emails.
- Contribute to corporate and leadership communications, reflecting the Garden's proper voice and tone.
- Research, write, revise, and proof various content while ensuring accuracy of copy.
- Help write compelling copy that encourages customers to buy tickets, take a class, or make a donation.
- Be familiar with Chicago Manual of Style and use of those rules, along with those in Garden Style Guidelines, in all communications.
- Contribute to a team effort by collaborating on ideas and ways to reach the target audience.
- Manage multiple assignments simultaneously, attend related meetings, and work efficiently and effectively within deadlines.
- Work with director, Content & Editorial, to ensure copy tone and style are consistent.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, communications, journalism, or related field.
- At least five years of writing experience in marketing or communications; agency experience is a plus.
- Must be an excellent writer across marketing channels.
- Proficiency in WordPress or other blog platform, Google Docs, Microsoft Office Word, and Excel.
- Experience in native and content advertising, search engine optimization, keywords, etc.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, with attention to detail.
- Strong conceptual thinker with proven ability to translate a marketing strategy into compelling creative concepts.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, effectively juggle different writing demands, and work on deadline.
- Able to respond positively to feedback.
- Team player.
- Strong problem-solving skills and detail oriented.
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.