The Farm on Ogden is designed as a community hub—a farm and learning space for Lawndale Christian Health Center patients, community residents, and urban farm entrepreneurs. Located in North Lawndale, the building will include a large-scale hydroponics/aquaponics system to support year-round fish and leafy greens production and training, a commercial kitchen/micro-processing center to prepare vegetables and develop value-added products distributed through an indoor community market, cold storage to assist with managing the aggregation and distribution of 130,000 pounds of produce, an enclosed produce-packing station to professionalize food safety and post-harvest produce handling, offices for Windy City Harvest staff, and a large multipurpose community space for classes, nutrition education, food demonstrations, and produce-box pickup. The Farm on Ogden will create jobs for youth and individuals with barriers to employment, offer increased training capacity, support small farm businesses, and position Windy City Harvest and Lawndale Christian Health Center to deliver a Food as Medicine program to address health in the community.
In this role, you will be responsible for the following:
- Train Corps Crew, Youth Farm participants, and staff in all proper marketing and retail procedures.
- Provide friendly and efficient customer service by demonstrating sincereity, patience, and respect in all customer interactions, and by thanking customers for their business.
- Process customer transactions quickly, accurately, and efficiently while being friendly and attentive to customers' needs.
- Operate POS System and ensure all forms of tender and coupons are properly handled.
- Complete daily paperwork and cash deposits.
- Report product ordering and quality issues to the sales supervisor.
- Order, stock, and inventory department merchandise. Coordinate with the kitchen coordinator and sales supervisor to stock Windy City Harvest products.
- Communicate new and on-going special programs and promotions to customers. Educate customers on Federal Benefits accepted as payment.
- Communicate the importance of food assistance programs to our shoppers, vendors, farmers, and supporters.
- Maintain cleanliness of department. Comply with safety procedures and report unsafe conditions to management.
- Handle duties of opening and closing indoor farm stand daily.
- Order products and coordinate shipments from local farms and businesses in the Chicago area as needed.
- Coordinate Windy City Harvest weekly farm stands and special event farm stands.
- Oversee and support operations of three on-site Youth Farm Stands.
- Perform administrative duties and report to management. Track food assistance transaction data.
- Promote Windy City Harvest sales and courses on social media.
- Act as a resource for program information for project partners, community members, Garden staff, and media as required.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- Experience in marketing and farm stand sales, and fresh produce merchandising and inventory.
- Basic knowledge of sustainable agriculture and local food systems.
- Familiarity with POS systems and forms of federal benefits as payment (LINK/SNAP, Senior Coupons, WIC Coupons, Double Value Coupons).
- Familiarity with proper cash handling and deposit procedures.
- Flexibility and comfort working with shifting demands and schedules. Evening and Saturday shifts are part of this position. Working outdoors and in an urban farm setting is dynamic.
- Ability to educate customers on seasonal produce availability and local food systems.
- Comfortable managing and engaging people with different cultural backgrounds and experiences, with a demonstrated respect for diversity.
- Excellent customer service and communication with community members and Windy City Harvest team.
- Written and verbal proficiency in Spanish preferred.
- Good oral and written communication skills, including ability to professionally communicate with clients, customers, visitors, volunteers, employer contacts, and funders.
- Valid driver's license, with a clean driving record.
- Available to work flexible work schedule, including weekends.
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.