In this role you will be responsible for the following:
- Support in managing and operating fleet including trucks & refrigerated vans. Make deliveries and transport staff as necessary.
- Fully understand how to operate and safety drive our assigned vehicle
- Pick-up and safely transport produce to intended destination
- Ensure produce is packed efficiently and safety, ensuring produce is properly stacked and secured.
- Maintain vehicle cleanliness and notify manager of any major maintenance or delivery issues encountered
- Inspect all produce and vehicles prior to delivery to wholesale customers.
- Incubator Farmer support
- Enforce WCH food safety standards and grading with incubators in shared marketing program.
- Ability to communicate proper harvest and post-harvest handling procedures following WCH standards.
- Help to communicate and enforce WCH sales procedures to Incubator Farmers and troubleshoot issues.
- Ensure quality, timeliness and accuracy in all aspects Incubator sales and delivery to WCH market. Clearly provide feedback when needed.
- Meet with Incubator farm business, Incubator coordinator and WCH Sales team to shared opportunities for produce sales in WCH sales channel.
- Veggierx deliveries and packouts
- Support in the delivery of over 3000 VeggieRx boxes to at least 300 families receiving SNAP benefits
- Lead box VeggieRx bags packout and deliveries ensuring accuracy and produce quality
- Delivery produce to VeggieRx participants homes during the correct time window.
- Produce safety, grading and sales
- Work closely with Sales team to ensure efficiency in sales and WCH produce aggregation to meet sales goal.
- Ability to aggregate produce and generate accurate packing slips.
- Inspect all produce when picking up at WCH sites.
- Support WCH Incubator farms with availability and harvest projections
- Assist with general site maintenance and cleanliness.
- Work as part of the WCH team reporting out at weekly meetings and monthly Incubator meetings.
Key Garden competencies/behaviors desired:
- Communicates in a manner that gains the trust and support of others at all levels.
- Works effectively with others despite differences of opinion and style; builds alliances.
- Has a tolerance for opposing points of view.
- Strives for collaboration. Works cooperatively, as a positive contributor to the team.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude and shows kindness in all workplace interactions.
- Makes decisions appropriate for level of responsibility.
- Can effectively adapt to change; can shift gears comfortably; is flexible, and embraces change with a “can-do” attitude.
- Is self-aware; knows personal strengths and weaknesses; seeks feedback and is open to negative feedback as an opportunity for improvement.
- Is cool under pressure; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; is a settling influence during a crisis.
- Recognizes problems, constructively identifies and articulates solutions.
- Picks up garbage when it is seen regardless of position.
- Follows safety guidelines to ensure a safe working environment and consistently demonstrates safe work behaviors.
- Is welcoming of new hires.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- A valid driver’s license with a good driving record is required
- Experience operating vans, pickup trucks and refrigerated passengers vehicles preferred
- WCH alumni preferred
- Ability to lift 50 pounds consistently throughout the work day and the capacity to work in all weather conditions, performing manual labor.
- Attention to detail
- Experience and ability to read and understand delivery instructions and utilize google maps for delivery route.
- Excellent communication skills: email, phone, and in person.
- Experience providing feedback and communication across multiple program and teams
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability and willingness to commute regionally and work from various locations
- Commitment to the mission of Windy City Harvest and Chicago Botanic Garden
- Detail-oriented, dependable, and punctual
- Valid Driver’s License
- Able to work independently and problem solve
- Windy City Harvest graduate preferred
- Familiarity with harvest and post-harvest handling procedures
- Able to enforce high quality control for produce
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
In accordance with Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972, the Chicago Botanic Garden does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its programs or activities, including in employment or admissions. Please call (847) 835-8264 to contact our Title IX coordinator should you have questions or concerns.