Visitor Support Associate - Gatehouse - Seasonal Full-time & Seasonal Part-time
8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Friday, Saturday, Sunday
9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday
12:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Thursday through Sunday
12:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Monday through Wednesday & Sunday
In this role you will be responsible for the following:
- Greeting all visitors with and warmly welcoming them to the Chicago Botanic Garden.
- Collecting parking fees, applying necessary discounts and accurately recording transactions in cash register.
- Recording zip codes for all visitors who stop at the gatehouse.
- Accurately recording non-paying visitor transactions in the computer, including accurately recording the number of passengers in each car.
- Maintaining familiarity with all of the events and special circumstances of the day and occurring in the near future at the Garden.
- Correctly directing V.I.P.’s, deliveries, tour groups, and other special visitors to the required locations.
- Keeping gatehouse clean and stocked with necessary cash-handling supplies.
- Following the correct procedures to report, correct and/or work around technical problems to keep the gatehouse running.
- Reconciling receipts and balancing the cash register at the end of each shift.
- Opening and closing Gatehouse as required.
- Assist Security Management in other areas as directed.
Key Garden competencies/behaviors desired
- Communicates in a manner that gains the trust and support of others at all levels.
- Works effectively with others despite differences of opinion and style; builds alliances.
- Has a tolerance for opposing points of view.
- Strives for collaboration. Works cooperatively, as a positive contributor to the team.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude and shows kindness in all workplace interactions.
- Makes decisions appropriate for level of responsibility.
- Can effectively adapt to change; can shift gears comfortably; is flexible, and embraces change with a “can-do” attitude.
- Is self-aware; knows personal strengths and weaknesses; seeks feedback and is open to negative feedback as an opportunity for improvement.
- Is cool under pressure; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; is a settling influence during a crisis.
- Recognizes problems, constructively identifies and articulates solutions.
- Picks up garbage when it is seen regardless of position.
- Follows safety guidelines to ensure a safe working environment and consistently demonstrates safe work behaviors.
- Is welcoming of new hires.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- Cash handling experience.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
*The Chicago Botanic Garden requires all existing employees to be fully COVID-19 vaccinated by October 15, 2021; hires after this date must be fully vaccinated upon hire or may request a medical/religious exemption after an offer is extended.*
Apply for Visitor Support Associate, Gatehouse -Seasonal using the link below:
• Basic computer skills
• Ability to endure long periods of sitting or standing
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.
The Chicago Botanic Garden is a M/F, Disabled, and Vet EEO/AA Employer.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
In accordance with Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972, the Chicago Botanic Garden does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its programs or activities, including in employment or admissions. Please call (847) 835-8264 to contact our Title IX coordinator should you have questions or concerns.