Visitor Experience Associate - Seasonal Full-time
Seasonal employee benefits:
• Seasonal Visitor Experience hourly wage = $17
• Generous Life Time subsidy – Special $140 subsidy plus $100 Life Time Bucks (credit for Wellness & Spa)
• Garden membership and access to other cultural institutions
• Flexible hours and ability to switch shifts with co-worker
In this role you will be responsible for the following:
- Serve as a Visitor Experience associate at multiple sales and redemption areas that support admission, membership, event ticket and class sales. Handle all tasks efficiently, including the sale of admissions, new memberships, renewal of current members, database look-up, event ticket sales, and general information.
- Work closely with Visitor Experience leads and manager to develop a proficiency in the ticketing software to support daily purchases of admissions, memberships, event ticket sales, and Garden classes. Redeem tickets and memberships at designated redemption areas to ensure accurate visit statistics.
- Assist in day-to-day operational procedures, including daily revenue reports, cash handling, the opening and closing of all systems including the cash register and the computerized network.
- Monitor visitor materials and displays in and around the admissions area. Maintain the cleanliness and appearance of each area.
Associates working at the Visitor Center Sales and Customer Service desks
- Monitor all Garden alarms and emergencies in conjunction with Garden Security including:
- 911 Calls
- Fire, elevator, and bonsai alarms
- Weather alerts and notification to staff
- Serve as on-site donor sales contact/customer service representative at the Visitor Center. Handle development-related desk tasks efficiently, including Annual Fund donations in the form of contributions, new and renewing donor-level memberships, tributes, customer service, knowledge of database, and general Garden-related information for both questions and follow-up when required. When required, answer telephone and email inquiries about the Garden, membership options, and Garden events and programs.
- Assist the Visitor Experience manager and leads in stocking/inventory control and other duties/projects as assigned.
- Develop a proficiency in the ticketing system (Galaxy) and membership database (Raiser’s Edge). Assist in the development and administration of sales programs.
- Participate in member and sales events.
- Monitor visitor materials and displays in and around the Visitor Information and Customer Service Desks. Maintain the cleanliness and appearance of each area.
- Maintain strong team relationship with Member and Donor Services and establish good working relationships with Visitor Operations, the Call Center, custodial, and outsourced food and retail operations.
Key Garden competencies/behaviors desired:
- Communicates in a manner that gains the trust and support of others at all levels.
- Works effectively with others despite differences of opinion and style; builds alliances.
- Has a tolerance for opposing points of view.
- Strives for collaboration. Works cooperatively, as a positive contributor to the team.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude and shows kindness in all workplace interactions.
- Makes decisions appropriate for level of responsibility.
- Can effectively adapt to change; can shift gears comfortably; is flexible, and embraces change with a “can-do” attitude.
- Is self-aware; knows personal strengths and weaknesses; seeks feedback and is open to negative feedback as an opportunity for improvement.
- Is cool under pressure; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; is a settling influence during a crisis.
- Recognizes problems, constructively identifies and articulates solutions.
- Picks up garbage when it is seen regardless of position.
- Follows safety guidelines to ensure a safe working environment and consistently demonstrates safe work behaviors.
- Is welcoming of new hires.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- A minimum of one year of experience in sales and customer service.
- The ability to interact positively with all customers including members, donors, potential donors, and co-workers in a professional and friendly manner. A customer is defined as any person you come in contact with—in person, on the telephone, or email.
- The flexibility to work at least one weekend day per week, some holidays, some evenings, and to flex hours when necessary for proper front-line coverage.
- Experience with nonprofit membership and/or development a plus.
- Microsoft Office skills.
- Database software experience—Raiser’s Edge and Galaxy preferred.
- The ability to handle cash and credit card receipts with integrity.
*Chicago Botanic Garden requires all existing employees be fully COVID-19 vaccinated by October 15, 2021; hires post this date must be fully vaccinated upon hire.*
Apply for Seasonal Visitor Experience Associate - Full-time using the link below:
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.
The Chicago Botanic Garden is a M/F, Disabled, and Vet EEO/AA Employer.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, or basis of disability, or any other federal, state, or local protected class.
In accordance with Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972, the Chicago Botanic Garden does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its programs or activities, including in employment or admissions. Please call (847) 835-8264 to contact our Title IX coordinator should you have questions or concerns.