In this role, you will be responsible for the following:
- Provide accurate and efficient cashiering skills, including operating multiple computerized point-of-sales systems, generating ticket sales in multiple categories and values, coupon redemptions, and the balancing of sales figures for deposit.
- Process and collect payments from visitors, including handling money, processing credit and debit cards, making change, and processing gift certificates.
- Remain knowledgeable of Garden current events and exhibitions, and proactively communicate and promote these to visitors.
- Five-star customer service oriented, able to work independently, and willing to work as part of a team.
- Promote and maintain a professional appearance and demeanor while in uniform.
- Work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions and temperatures.
- Occasionally transport visitors, staff, and volunteers on a variety of vehicles (e.g. vans, club cars) throughout the Garden. Must be safety oriented.
- Assist the visitor operations manager and coordinator in other areas, as required.
Key Garden competencies/behaviors desired
- Communicates in a manner that gains the trust and support of others at all levels.
- Works effectively with others despite differences of opinion and style; builds alliances.
- Has a tolerance for opposing points of view.
- Strives for collaboration. Works cooperatively, as a positive contributor to the team.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude and shows kindness in all workplace interactions.
- Makes decisions appropriate for level of responsibility.
- Can effectively adapt to change; can shift gears comfortably; is flexible, and embraces change with a “can-do” attitude.
- Is self-aware; knows personal strengths and weaknesses; seeks feedback and is open to negative feedback as an opportunity for improvement.
- Is cool under pressure; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; is a settling influence during a crisis.
- Recognizes problems, constructively identifies and articulates solutions.
- Picks up garbage when it is seen regardless of position.
- Follows safety guidelines to ensure a safe working environment and consistently demonstrates safe work behaviors.
- Is welcoming of new hires.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- Minimum age requirement of 18 years old.
- High school diploma or equivalent required. College degree preferred.
- Articulate, with a strong command of the English language. Bilingual (Spanish) is a plus.
- Available day, some evenings, weekend, and holiday hours.
- Experience in the service and/or tour industry.
- Valid Illinois driver's license and driving record with no violations; insurable by the Chicago Horticultural Society is required.
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.
In accordance with Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972, Chicago Botanic Garden does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its programs or activities, including in employment or admissions. Please call (847) 835-8264 to contact our Title IX Coordinator should you have questions or concerns.