Grow plants that are a permanent part of the Garden's collection, including perennials, trees, shrubs, native plants, and aquatics. You will work under supervision in the Production Nursery and receive individual and small group assistance to:
- Create a civilian job market resumé and cover letter
- Develop a professional online presence via LinkedIn
- Practice interview skills and professionalism
- Explore career choices
- Learn how to search for employment
In this role you will be responsible for the following:
- Working with the nursery supervisor to produce a broad range of plants through potting, transplanting, fertilizing, weeding, spacing pots, watering, and pruning.
- Assisting in the receiving of plants from outside nurseries and the delivery of plants within the Garden.
- Assisting the nursery supervisor, grower, assistant grower, seasonal workers, volunteers, and interns in growing plants.
- Helping in other areas of Production when needed, including Nursery, Outdoor Floriculture, Indoor Floriculture, and Propagation.
- Remaining flexible as jobs change frequently.
- Being an enthusiastic and positive contributor to Veteran Internship Program cohort.
- Completing the Veteran Internship Program curriculum.
Pay rate: $15/hour for 30 hours/week for 14 weeks. Additional $50/week travel stipend
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- Veteran status
- Must be able to provide DD Form 214 during application process
- Ability to provide Veteran I.D.
- Must be able to work 14 weeks from May 21 through August 24
- Enrolled in a college horticulture program or related field with an interest in plant production.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced work environment.
- Good communication skills.
Applications are due March 16, 2018.
Applications will be reviewed after receipt of Employment Application, Federal Affirmative Action Questionnaire (voluntary), DD Form 214, and current resumé including your education and work experience with dates. Attach and send your resumé and application materials to email@example.com. Include the job title and requisition number in the subject line of your email.
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.
Who should apply?:
Honorably discharged veterans seeking interim employment and guidance in creating a plan for transitioning to the civilian workforce.