Learn the skills needed to assist with the core responsibilities of this department. You will work under supervision in Living Plant Documentation and receive individual and small group assistance to:
- Create a civilian job market resumé and cover letter
- Develop a professional online presence via LinkedIn
- Practice interview skills and professionalism
- Explore career choices
- Learn how to search for employment
In this role, you will be responsible for the following:
- Collect, enter, and edit data in the plant records databases.
- Collect, enter, and edit data in the geospatial database.
- Check names, compile label requests, assemble and disassemble labels for the Display Gardens.
- Create and place embossed accession tags.
- Collect, document, press, dry, and mount herbarium vouchers.
- Collect, document, label, and freeze DNA vouchers.
- Collect, document, and distribute digital images.
- Scan, document, and store slide images.
- Collect, record, and distribute phenology (flowering data).
- Collect and record diameter measurements at breast-height of trees for carbon sequestrian calculations.
- Be trained by and work collaboratively with four staff and seven volunteer team leaders supported by up to 80 volunteers.
- Be an enthusiastic and positive contributor to the Veteran Internship cohort.
- Complete the Veteran Internship Program curriculum.
Pay rate: $15/hour for 30 hours/week for 14 weeks. Additional $50/week travel stipend
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- Veteran status.
- Must be able to provide DD Form 214 during application process.
- Ability to provide Veteran I.D.
- Must be able to work 14 weeks from May 21 through August 24.
- Interest in pursuing a career in horticulture, botany, or ecology.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Previous computer experience using Microsoft Word, Excel, and Access.
Applications are due on March 16, 2018.
Applications will be reviewed after receipt of Employment Application, Federal Affirmative Action Questionnaire (voluntary), DD Form 214, and current resumé including your education and work experience with dates. Attach and send your resumé and application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the job title and requisition number in the subject line of your email.
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.
Who should apply?
Honorably discharged veterans seeking interim employment and guidance in creating a plan for transitioning to the civilian workforce.