To achieve hands-on experience in public garden visitor education while primarily assisting with and supporting seasonal programs in the Regenstein Fruit & Vegetable Garden. Support additional Interpretive Programs areas as needed. You will work under supervision of Interpretive Programs and receive individual and small group assistance to:
- Create a civilian job market resumé and cover letter
- Develop a professional online presence via LinkedIn
- Practice interview skills and professionalism
- Explore career choices
- Learn how to search for employment
In this role you will be responsible for the following:
- Assisting in the preparation, set-up, and clean-up of weekday and weekend programs in the Fruit & Vegetable Garden including Discover Carts, Garden Chef Series, and Plant Giveaway. Helping prepare and maintain supplies. Working with staff and alongside volunteers.
- Gaining subject matter exposure to growing vegetables, herbs, and fruit at home.
- Interacting with visitors, answering questions, and facilitating programs as assigned.
- Attending planning meetings and assisting with themed programs such as Get Growing Weekend, Heirloom Fest: Tomatoes and More, and Harvest Weekend.
- If time and interest allow, gaining experience and assisting with volunteer interpretive programs in the Malott Japanese Garden, English Walled Garden, and/or the Butterflies & Blooms exhibition.
- Being an enthusiastic and positive contributor to the Veteran Internship cohort.
- Completing the Veteran Internship Program curriculum.
Pay rate: $15/hour for 30 hours/week for 14 weeks. Additional $50/week travel stipend.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- Veteran status.
- Must be able to provide DD Form 214 during application process.
- Ability to provide Veteran I.D.
- Must be able to work 14 weeks from May 21 through August 24.
- Work week is Wednesday through Sunday.
- Ability to be flexible and work in a fast-paced environment. Desire to work with people. Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
Applications are due March 16, 2018.
Applications will be reviewed after receipt of Employment Application, Federal Affirmative Action Questionnaire (voluntary), DD Form 214, and current resumé including your education and work experience with dates. Attach and send your resumé and application materials to email@example.com. Include the job title and requisition number in the subject line of your email.
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.
Who should apply?
Honorably discharged veterans seeking interim employment and guidance in creating a plan for transitioning to civilian workforce.