Assist camp teachers. Camp CBG focuses on basic plant science concepts through hands-on activities, nature, art and outdoor exploration of the Garden's collections, and take-home projects. You will work under the supervision in the education department and receive individual small group assistance to:
- Create a civilian job market resumé and cover letter
- Develop a professional online presence via LinkedIn
- Practice interview skills and professionalism
- Explore career choices
- Learn how to search for employment
In this role you will be responsible for the following:
- Arriving and signing in 30 minutes before start of camp.
- Assisting teacher in set-up of day's activities.
- Meeting camp group at drop-off site and helping organize campers.
- Assisting teachers with daily program.
- Other duties as assigned including assisting with daily snack, working one-on-one with campers, and preparing supplies for activities.
- After camp, helping clean up the classroom or program area, and returning materials to their proper places in an orderly fashion.
- Being an enthusiastic and positive contributor to the Veteran Internship cohort.
- Completing the Veteran Internship Program curriculum .
Pay rate: $15/hour for 30 hours/week for 14 weeks. Additional $50/week travel stipend
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- Veteran status.
- Must be able to provide DD Form 214 during application process.
- Ability to provide Veteran I.D.
- Must be able to work 14 weeks from May 21 through August 24.
- Must like children and enjoy working with groups of children.
- Some experience supervising groups of children.
- Willingness to learn, share information, take direction, and assist teachers in a variety of tasks, and communicate with rapport to students of different ages and abilities.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Flexibility to adapt to changing weather, locations, schedules, and audience learning levels.
- Ability to work as part of a team, and to cooperate with staff, teachers, other volunteers and visitors to the Garden.
Applications are due March 16, 2018.
Applications will be reviewed after receipt of Employment Application, Federal Affirmative Action Questionnaire (voluntary), DD Form 214, and current resumé including your education and work experience with dates. Attach and send your resumé and application materials to email@example.com. Include the job title and requisition number in the subject line of your email.
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.
Who should apply?
Honorably discharged veterans who are seeking interim employment and guidance in creating a plan for transitioning to the civilian workforce.