Assist in the day-to-day accounting functions of the Garden and support in reporting financial information. You will work under supervision in the accounting department and will receive individual and small group assistance to:
- Create a civilian job market resumé and cover letter
- Develop a professional online presence via LinkedIn
- Practice interview skills and professionalism
- Explore career choices
- Learn how to search for employment
In this role you will be responsible for the following:
- Supporting the management of the Chicago Horticultural Society's accounting and financial records and ensuring compliance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Assisting in the preparation of reports to monitor status of grants, projects, restricted contributions, and contracts, including compliance with financial requirements. Providing accounting information to other departments as requested.
- Assisting the accounting department in all aspects of financial reporting, training, and special projects as assigned.
- Being an enthusiastic and positive contributor to the Veteran Internship Program.
- Completing the Veteran Internship Program curriculum.
Pay rate: $15/hour for 30 hours/week for 14 weeks. Additional $50/week travel stipend.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- Veteran status.
- Must be able to provide DD Form 214 during application process.
- Ability to provide Veteran I.D.
- Must be able to work 14 weeks from May 21 through August 24.
- An interest in accounting.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- High degree of flexibility, responsibility, involvement, responsiveness, and cooperation.
- Professional appearance and demeanor.
Applications are due March 16, 2018.
Applications will be reviewed after receipt of Employment Application, Federal Affirmative Action Questionnaire (voluntary), DD Form 214, and current resumé including your education and work experience with dates. Attach and send your resumé and application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the job title and requisition number in the subject line of your email.
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.
Who should apply?
Honorably discharged veterans who are seeking interim employment and guidance in creating a plan for transitioning to civilian workforce.