In this role you will be responsible for the following:
- Coordinate, promote the registration and delivery of 600 Veggie RX boxes to 100 SNAP-enrolled LCHC clients and their families. Revise application and contract for participating families.
- Promote and distribute coupon for 50% discount on vegetables at farm stand and corner store.
- Enroll and coordinate nutrition education and food preparation demonstrations for LCHC clients, WCH Corps & Youth Farm participants in partnership with CPHP.
- Train and engage Corps and Youth Farm participants during box distributions and farm stands.
- Support LCHC training of 20 physicians to enroll in Veggie RX box program.
- Revise, distribute, and collect a survey to report knowledge of food preparation, healthy eating habits, and reduced intake of processed fast food.
- Adapt crop nutritional information and recipes to include in Veggie RX boxes.
- Coordinate pickups and deliveries of Veggie RX boxes, assist with pack outs and aggregation from WCH farm sites.
- Develop creative ways to increase consumption of fresh produce for all Veggie RX participants.
- Assist with weekly farm stand in North Lawndale to ensure proper reporting and use of coupons and to promote Veggie RX to community residents.
- Report weekly on program development to team.
- Act as a supportive program, job, and agriculture resource to program participants, staff, community residents, media, and collaborative partners.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Two or more years of community nutrition education experience in urban communities, working with federal benefit programs
- Experience in program evaluation
- Experience providing education about plant-rich diets
- Commitment to the mission of Windy City Harvest
- A strong interest in working with youth development and transitional jobs
- Commitment to being a supportive resource for program participants, community residents, and project partners
- A valid driver's license with good driving record and access to personal vehicle
- Willingness to use personal laptop computer for work purposes
- Willingness to drive large vehicles for distribution
- The ability to work independently to coordinate a developing program and as part of a dedicated urban agriculture training team
- A detail-oriented, flexible, dependable, and punctual work ethic
- The ability to lift 50 pounds and capacity to work in all weather conditions, performing manual labor
- Experience following and tracking budgets accurately with Excel
- Excellent communication skills: email, phone, in person, etc.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred
- This position may require weekend work
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.