Tram Tour Guide - Seasonal Full-time & Seasonal Part-time
This seasonal position requires an average of three days per week, including one weekend day and some holidays/evenings. Hours scheduled may differ throughout the year.
Seasonal employee benefits:
• Seasonal Visitor Experience hourly wage = $17
• Generous Life Time subsidy – Special $140 subsidy plus $100 Life Time Bucks (credit for Wellness & Spa)
• Garden membership and access to other cultural institutions
• Flexible hours and ability to switch shifts with co-worker
In this position, you will be responsible for the following:
- As both tram driver and tour guide, you will be trained to safely transport Garden visitors, staff, and volunteers along predetermined routes while simultaneously providing engaging, scripted, 35-minute tours.
- Occasionally transport visitors, staff, and volunteers in a variety of vehicles (e.g. vans, club cars) throughout the Garden.
- Demonstrate both a high standard of safety for visitors and a strict adherence to the Chicago Horticultural Society's rules and regulations.
- Maintain the cleanliness of the vehicles and monitor operating conditions.
- Provide support for Garden attractions, exhibitions, and events including ticket sales, bar code scanning, and line management.
- Remain knowledgeable about Garden current events, garden displays, and exhibitions, and proactively communicate these to visitors.
- Be customer-service oriented, able to work independently, and willing to work as a part of a team.
- Maintain a professional appearance and demeanor while in uniform.
- Work outdoors in all varieties of weather conditions and temperatures.
- Assist the Visitor Services manager and coordinator in other areas as requested.
Key Garden competencies/behaviors desired:
- Communicates in a manner that gains the trust and support of others at all levels.
- Works effectively with others despite differences of opinion and style; builds alliances.
- Has a tolerance for opposing points of view.
- Strives for collaboration. Works cooperatively, as a positive contributor to the team.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude and shows kindness in all workplace interactions.
- Makes decisions appropriate for level of responsibility.
- Can effectively adapt to change; can shift gears comfortably; is flexible, and embraces change with a “can-do” attitude.
- Is self-aware; knows personal strengths and weaknesses; seeks feedback and is open to negative feedback as an opportunity for improvement.
- Is cool under pressure; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; is a settling influence during a crisis.
- Recognizes problems, constructively identifies and articulates solutions.
- Picks up garbage when it is seen regardless of position.
- Follows safety guidelines to ensure a safe working environment and consistently demonstrates safe work behaviors.
- Is welcoming of new hires.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- Minimum age requirement of 18 years old.
- A valid Illinois driver's license, driving record with no violations, and insurable by the Chicago Horticultural Society is required; must be safety oriented.
- High school diploma or equivalent required. College degree preferred.
- Articulate, with a strong command of the English language. Bilingual is a plus.
- Experience in the service and/or tour industry as a public speaker with a talent for engaging an audience of adults and children.
- Knowledge of and interest in horticulture is preferred.
- Available days, evenings, weekends, and holidays.
*The Chicago Botanic Garden requires all existing employees to be fully COVID-19 vaccinated by October 15, 2021; hires after this date must be fully vaccinated upon hire or may request a medical/religious exemption after an offer is extended.*
Apply for Seasonal Tour Guide using the link below:
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.
The Chicago Botanic Garden is a M/F, Disabled, and Vet EEO/AA Employer.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, or basis of disability, or any other federal, state, or local protected class.
In accordance with Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972, the Chicago Botanic Garden does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its programs or activities, including in employment or admissions. Please call (847) 835-8264 to contact our Title IX coordinator should you have questions or concerns.