In this role, you will be responsible for the following:
- As both tram driver and guide, you will be trained to transport Garden visitors, staff, and volunteers along predetermined routes while simultaneously providing engaging, scripted 35-minute tours.
- Demonstrate both a high standard of safety for visitors and a strict adherence to the Chicago Horticultural Society's rules and regulations.
- Maintain the cleanliness and appearance of the tram's interior and exterior, and monitor tram operating conditions.
- Tour Guides will be responsible for using a handheld computer to sell and scan tickets prior to tour departure. Tour Guides will also be required to use a computer to sell and scan tickets for Garden events when scheduled for ticket sales/line management at the exhibition entry or ticket booths.
- Remain knowledgeable of Garden current events, garden displays, and exhibitions, and proactively communicate and promote these to visitors.
- Five-star customer service oriented, able to work independently, and willing to work as a part of a team.
- Promote and maintain a professional appearance and demeanor while in uniform.
- Work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions and temperatures.
- Assist the visitor operations manager and coordinator in other areas as requested.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- Minimum age requirement of 21 years old.
- Possession of a valid Illinois driver's license, driving record with no violations, and insurable by the Chicago Horticultural Society is required; must be safety oriented.
- High school diploma or equivalent required. College degree preferred.
- Articulate, with a strong command of the English language. Bilingual (Spanish) is a plus.
- Available day, evening, weekend and holiday hours.
- Experience in the service and/or tour industry as a public speaker with a talent for engaging an audience of adults and children.
- Knowledge and interest in horticulture is preferred
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.