In this role you will be responsible for the following:
- As both tram driver and tour guide, you will transport Garden visitors, staff, and volunteers along predetermined routes while simultaneously providing engaging, scripted, 35-minute tours.
- Demonstrate both a high standard of safety for visitors and a strict adherence to the Chicago Horticultural Society's rules and regulations.
- Maintain the cleanliness and appearance of the tram's interior and exterior, and monitor tram operating conditions.
- Remain knowledgeable about Garden current events, displays, and exhibitions, and proactively communicate and promote these to visitors.
- Five-star customer-service oriented, able to work independently, and willing to work as part of a team.
- Promote and maintain a professional appearance and demeanor while in uniform.
- Work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions, occasionally severe.
- Assist the visitor operations manager and coordinator in other areas as requested.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- Minimum age requirement of 21.
- Possession of a valid driver's license, driving record with no violations, and insurable by the Chicago Horticultural Society is required; must be safety oriented.
- High school diploma or equivalent required. College degree preferred.
- Articulate, with a strong command of English. Bilingual (Spanish) is a plus.
- Available day, evening, weekend, and holiday hours.
- Experience in the service and/or tour industry as a public speaker with a talent for engaging an audience of adults and children.
- Knowledge of horticulture is preferred.
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.