In this role, you will be responsible for the following:
- Repair and maintenance of Garden vehicles, tools, and equipment
- On-call status for emergency tram repairs during tram season (approximately May through October). This will be on a rotating basis.
- Assist the manager in other areas, as needed
- Act in a supervisory role; teach and train as needed
KEY GARDEN COMPETENCIES/ BEHAVIORS DESIRED
- Picks up garbage when it is seen regardless of position
- Effective Communication; Communicate in a manner that gains the trust and support of others at all levels.
- Ability to build alliances; Work effectively with others despite differences of opinion and style;
- Has a tolerance for opposing points of view
- Strives for collaboration. Work cooperatively, as a positive contributor to the team;
- Demonstrate a positive attitude and show kindness in all workplace interactions;
- Ability to make decisions appropriate for level of responsibility.
- Can effectively adapt to change; can shift gears comfortably; Be flexible, and embrace change with a “can-do” attitude
- Is self-aware - knows personal strengths and weaknesses; seeks feedback and is open to negative feedback as an opportunity for improvement
- Is cool under pressure; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; is a settling influence during a crisis.
- Recognizes problems, constructively identifies and articulates solutions
- Follows safety guidelines to ensure a safe working environment and consistently demonstrates safe work behaviors.
- Welcoming of new hires.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- Ability to teach and train
- Able to assume appropriate responsibilities when manager is not available
- Bi-lingual preferred (English-Spanish)
- Associate's degree in automotive technology or at least five years’ experience in automotive diagnostics required
- At least five years’ experience with GM vehicles required
- Fabrication and welding experience preferred
- Automatic transmission, automotive air conditioner repair experience preferred
- Experience with snow blowers and lawn mowers preferred
- Valid driver’s license required
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.
In accordance with Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972, the Chicago Botanic Garden does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its programs or activities, including in employment or admissions. Please call (847) 835-8264 to contact our Title IX coordinator should you have questions or concerns.