To be able to fill in when a staff member is unavailable due to illness or other reasons approved by the supervisor.
In this role, you will be responsible for the following:
- Co-teach with another qualified teacher and/or volunteers
- Supervise volunteers as needed
- Manage the day-to-day activities including and not limited to accurate records of attendance, emergency information, medical release information, current email list, communication about the activities to parents, assessment of children regularly via established method
- Planning activities that are developmentally appropriate for your particular class
- Carry out curriculum indoors and outdoors
- Preparing items to be used in the day-to-day curriculum
- Monitoring safety and doing risk assessments
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- Associate's degree in early childhood education or equivalent required. At least three years of experience working with preschool age children required.
- Bachelor's degree in early childhood education or equivalent preferred. Type 04 Certification preferred. Willingness to attain DCFS Director Qualification after hired.
- Background knowledge in nature-based and/or play-based education. Experience in either is preferred.
- A love of nature and teaching outdoors. Experience in and knowledge of informal education, science or horticulture, and outdoor and environmental education.
- Ability to communicate with parents professionally in person and via electronic communication.
- Ability to handle situations tactfully and with confidentiality.
- Ability to work as part of an educational team.
- Ability and enjoyment of working outdoors with children for several hours a day under all types of weather conditions.
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.