Perform daily operations and maintenance duties for the train exhibitions at the Garden.
In this role you will be responsible for the following:
- Set up, operate, and take down trains for the Model Railroad Garden exhbition and the Wonderland Express exhibition.
- Each day, ensure exhibition buildings and props are in order, remove debris as necessary from tracks, help keep footpaths and exhbition area clean, and monitor exhibition for any train breakdowns or derailments as well as potential problems.
- Address electrical and mechanical problems as they arise and assist with repairs or other projects as directed.
- Direct the work of volunteer assistant engineers during your assigned shift.
- Attend periodic engineers' meetings and assist with training new staff and volunteers.
- Assist with special events that periodically happen at the Model Railroad Garden and Wonderland Express.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- Background knowledge and technical expertise to operate G-scale trains, track, and control panels.
- Excellent people skills and ability to work in a team environment.
- Flexibility to add weekend days or evenings as needed.
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.
In accordance with Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972, Chicago Botanic Garden does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its programs or activities, including in employment or admissions. Please call (847) 835-8264 to contact our Title IX Coordinator should you have questions or concerns.