In this role you will be responsible for the following:
- Maintain the safety of visitors, employees, and property at the Garden while enforcing Garden rules and regulations.
- Provide information and assistance to the visitor in a pleasant, professional manner.
- Work closely with Visitor Services to provide the best information and service for the visitor.
- Maintain valid certification in CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation), the use of AED’s, and Standard First Aid through Garden provided training.
- Provide emergency first aid to employees and to visitors.
- Prepare accurate and clear reports of accidents, illness, theft, vandalism or any other unusual occurrences with immediate notification to Security Management.
- Perform responsibilities specific to each post as assigned: Gatehouse, West Gate, Dundee Gate, Education Center, Front of Gateway, Information Desk, Japanese, Evening, Fruit and Vegetable Islands, etc.
- Perform patrols including all buildings, islands, gardens and other Garden property. Control traffic whenever needed.
- Make appropriate Security Department vehicle operating and safety checks.
- Pick up and deliver persons and materials as needed.
- Assist Security Management in other areas as directed.
Key Garden competencies/behaviors desired:
- Communicates in a manner that gains the trust and support of others at all levels.
- Works effectively with others despite differences of opinion and style; builds alliances.
- Has a tolerance for opposing points of view.
- Strives for collaboration. Works cooperatively, as a positive contributor to the team.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude and shows kindness in all workplace interactions.
- Makes decisions appropriate for level of responsibility.
- Can effectively adapt to change; can shift gears comfortably; is flexible, and embraces change with a “can-do” attitude.
- Is self-aware; knows personal strengths and weaknesses; seeks feedback and is open to negative feedback as an opportunity for improvement.
- Is cool under pressure; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; is a settling influence during a crisis.
- Recognizes problems, constructively identifies and articulates solutions.
- Picks up garbage when it is seen regardless of position.
- Follows safety guidelines to ensure a safe working environment and consistently demonstrates safe work behaviors.
- Is welcoming of new hires.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- First Aid and CPR training
- Valid driver’s license insurable by the Society
- Ability to work overtime as required by the operational needs of the department
*Chicago Botanic Garden requires all existing employees be fully COVID vaccinated by October 15, 2021; hires post this date must be fully vaccinated upon hire.*
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.
The Chicago Botanic Garden is a M/F, Disabled, and Vet EEO/AA Employer.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
In accordance with Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972, the Chicago Botanic Garden does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its programs or activities, including in employment or admissions. Please call (847) 835-8264 to contact our Title IX coordinator should you have questions or concerns.