In this role you will be responsible for the following:
- Remove weeds using manual techniques and herbicide sprays under the direction of the Plant Health Care Supervisor.
- Maintain an accurate daily log of herbicide applied.
- Safely operate small equipment such as golf carts, weed whips, leaf blowers, chain saws, and sprayers.
- Inform the plant health care supervisor of disease, insect, weed, and animal problems as well as tool and equipment problems.
- Keep tools, supplies, vehicles, and work areas clean and organized.
- Assist with Plant Health Care Department activities such as equipment maintenance, fertilization, making spray treatments, and aerating turf under the direction of the Plant Health Care Specialists.
- As needed, perform the following tasks consisting primarily of manual labor under the direction of full-time grounds crew staff: mulching, planting, transplanting, pruning trees and shrubs, watering, maintaining tools and equipment, chipping brush, removing debris, deadheading, edging, and greenhouse work.
- Work safely without injury to self, others, property or plants.
- Respond to public and staff questions for general information. Interact daily with staff, volunteers, and the public in a friendly and respectful manner.
- Assist the Horticulture Division with support for special events and other projects as needed.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- Completed a horticulture-training program or taken classes in gardening with experience in landscape maintenance.
- Must be able to identify weeds.
- Must obtain a Operator's License through the Illinois Department of Agriculture within first month of employment.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- A valid driver's license and insurable by the Chicago Horticultural Society is preferred.
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.