In this role, you will be responsible for the following:
- Invoicing and tracking all earned revenues from produce and resale sales, workshops, events, VeggieRx prescription produce boxes, plant seedlings, harvests, incubator farmer payments, and courses through Quickbooks
- Receiving, coding, and depositing funds to accounting from payments/invoices, cross referencing, and tracking payments/ revenues
- Creating data reports on a monthly basis at a minimum for staff, partners, development department, and grant compliance
- Track budget lines as needed, reviewing for ways to increase efficiencies in purchasing for Windy City Harvest farm sites, Farm on Ogden building maintenance, programs, and events
- Coordinate LINKUp Illinois LINK MATCH coupon funds and send reports weekly to maintain grant requirements for Experimental Station through FM tracks online platform
- Support with program-wide food safety compliance: collect production logs from all Windy City Harvest farm site coordinators and incubator farmers, support with food safety and harvest demonstrations on site for maximum efficiency and refresher trainings for SOPs in place
- Assist with training staff and program participants in proper procedures in common areas at Farm on Ogden (greenhouse, aggregation room), update SOPs as needed, and provide regular written feedback to the Sales Manager
- Oversee retail inventory and vendor applications for resale products, including vendor invoicing and machine equipment (POS system and EBT machine, refrigeration, merchandising supplies)
- Support with training of staff and program participants (incubators, Youth Farm, Corps, volunteers) in food safety, market and retail training, proper harvest, and beekeeping procedures as needed
- Attend events to represent Windy City Harvest as requested, including tabling at conferences and working corporate farm stands
- Serve as a spokesperson for Windy City Harvest to community residents, project partners, customers, sales representatives, chefs, program participants, team members, and media as needed
- Create social media content and posts regularly and as requested
- Set up and maintain EBT machines to accept SNAP/LINK and card payments and farm stand and VeggieRx distributions, keep track of FNS numbers and submit for renewal as necessary
- Manage farm stands, farmer’s market applications and corporate pop-up markets, including staff training, inventory, scheduling, market staffing and EBT machine maintenance for machines leased and owned
Key Garden competencies/behaviors desired:
- Communicates in a manner that gains the trust and support of others at all levels.
- Works effectively with others despite differences of opinion and style; builds alliances.
- Has a tolerance for opposing points of view.
- Strives for collaboration. Works cooperatively, as a positive contributor to the team.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude and shows kindness in all workplace interactions.
- Makes decisions appropriate for level of responsibility.
- Can effectively adapt to change; can shift gears comfortably; is flexible, and embraces change with a “can-do” attitude.
- Is self-aware; knows personal strengths and weaknesses; seeks feedback and is open to negative feedback as an opportunity for improvement.
- Is cool under pressure; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; is a settling influence during a crisis.
- Recognizes problems, constructively identifies and articulates solutions.
- Picks up garbage when it is seen regardless of position.
- Follows safety guidelines to ensure a safe working environment and consistently demonstrates safe work behaviors.
- Is welcoming of new hires.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- On-farm accounting experience with proficiency in Quickbooks, Excel and Microsoft Office
- Produce Safety Alliance Grower certified, familiar with Good Agricultural Practices and willingness to get certified
- Servesafe Manager Certification
- Detail oriented, flexible, and able to work independently and as well as part of a team
- Excellent communication skills, able to supervise and work with people with different backgrounds and skill levels
- Mission driven and able to uphold Windy City Harvest values statement
- Has driver’s license with clean driving record, comfortable driving refrigerated vans and large pick-up trucks
- Windy City Harvest Apprenticeship graduate preferred
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.
The Chicago Botanic Garden is a M/F, Disabled, and Vet EEO/AA Employer.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
In accordance with Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972, the Chicago Botanic Garden does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its programs or activities, including in employment or admissions. Please call (847) 835-8264 to contact our Title IX coordinator should you have questions or concerns.