Produce Delivery Driver, Windy City Harvest (Chicago, IL)
In this role, you will be responsible for the following:
- Support in managing and operating fleet ,including trucks and refrigerated vans. Fill out monthly maintenance logs for the Windy City Harvest fleet. Report items needed to supervisor to order and refill.
- Make deliveries and transport staff as necessary.
- Fully understand how to operate and safety drive our assigned vehicle
- Pick up and safely transport produce to intended destination, along with all proper paperwork.
- Ensure produce is packed efficiently and safely, ensuring cases are complete, properly stacked, and secured.
- Maintain vehicle cleanliness and notify manager of any major maintenance or delivery issues encountered.
- Keep produce delivery vehicles in compliance with food safety standards. Inspect all produce and vehicles prior to delivery to wholesale customers.
- Assist with general site maintenance, site security (locking up at end of day, ensuring all tools are returned, etc.,) and cleanliness.
- Work as part of the Windy City Harvest team, reporting out at weekly meetings and monthly Incubator meetings.
- Farmer support for Windy City Harvest site coordinators and incubator farmers:
- Enforce Windy City Harvest food safety standards and grading with incubators in shared marketing program.
- Ability to communicate proper harvest and post-harvest handling procedures following Windy City Harvest standards.
- Help to communicate and enforce Windy City Harvest sales procedures to Incubator Farmers and troubleshoot issues.
- Support Windy City Harvest Incubator Farms with availability and harvest projections, as needed.
- Ensure quality, timeliness, and accuracy in all aspects of Incubator sales and delivery to Windy City Harvest markets.
- Clearly provide feedback when needed. Reject unsafe or improperly packed cases, communicating professionally with growers and supervisor.
- Meet with Incubator Farm businesses, Incubator manager, and Windy City Harvest sales team to shared opportunities for produce sales in Windy City Harvest sales channel.
- VeggieRx deliveries and pack-outs, as needed, supporting with packing out and delivering over 450 boxes weekly, as needed
- Support in the pick-up of wholesale produce for retail and sales team, as needed.
- Produce safety, grading, and sales paperwork in compliance with Produce Safety Alliance procedures.
- Work closely with the sales team to ensure efficiency in sales and Windy City Harvest produce aggregation to meet sales goal.
- Ability to aggregate produce and generate accurate packing slips and harvest logs.
- Inspect all produce when picking up at Windy City Harvest sites.
Key Garden competencies/behaviors desired:
- Communicates in a manner that gains the trust and support of others at all levels.
- Works effectively with others despite differences of opinion and style; builds alliances.
- Has a tolerance for opposing points of view.
- Strives for collaboration. Works cooperatively, as a positive contributor to the team.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude and shows kindness in all workplace interactions.
- Makes decisions appropriate for level of responsibility.
- Can effectively adapt to change; can shift gears comfortably; is flexible, and embraces change with a “can-do” attitude.
- Is self-aware; knows personal strengths and weaknesses; seeks feedback and is open to negative feedback as an opportunity for improvement.
- Is cool under pressure; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; is a settling influence during a crisis.
- Recognizes problems, constructively identifies and articulates solutions.
- Picks up garbage when it is seen regardless of position.
- Follows safety guidelines to ensure a safe working environment and consistently demonstrates safe work behaviors.
- Is welcoming of new hires.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- A valid driver’s license with a clean driving record is required
- Experience operating vans, pick-up trucks and refrigerated passengers vehicles preferred
- Windy City Harvest alumni preferred
- Ability to lift 50 pounds consistently throughout the work day
- Capacity to work in all weather conditions, performing manual labor
- Attention to detail
- Experience and ability to read and understand delivery instructions and utilize Google maps for delivery route
- Excellent communication skills: email, phone, and in person
- Experience providing feedback and communication across multiple program and teams
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability and willingness to commute regionally and work from various locations
- Commitment to the mission of Windy City Harvest and the Chicago Botanic Garden
- Detail-oriented, dependable, and punctual
- Able to work independently and problem solve
- Familiarity with harvest and post-harvest handling procedures
- Able to enforce high-quality control for produce
*The Chicago Botanic Garden requires all existing employees to be fully COVID-19 vaccinated by October 15, 2021; hires after this date must be fully vaccinated upon hire or may request a medical/religious exemption after an offer is extended.*
Apply for Seasonal Produce Delivery Driver, WCH (Chicago, IL) using the link below:
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.
The Chicago Botanic Garden is a M/F, Disabled, and Vet EEO/AA Employer.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
In accordance with Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972, the Chicago Botanic Garden does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its programs or activities, including in employment or admissions. Please call (847) 835-8264 to contact our Title IX coordinator should you have questions or concerns.