In this role you will be responsible for the following:
- Work independently or as a member of a team.
- Repair and maintenance of Garden vehicles, tools, and equipment.
- On-call status for emergency tram repairs during tram season (approximately late April – mid-October); this will be on a rotational basis.
- Assist the manager of Equipment Maintenance in other tasks as assigned.
- Snowplow our roads and parking lots; this will entail early morning starts, weekends, and holidays, depending on the weather, and may include some hand shoveling from time to time.
Key Garden competencies/behaviors desired
- Communicates in a manner that gains the trust and support of others at all levels.
- Works effectively with others despite differences of opinion and style; builds alliances.
- Has a tolerance for opposing points of view.
- Strives for collaboration. Works cooperatively, as a positive contributor to the team.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude and shows kindness in all workplace interactions.
- Makes decisions appropriate for level of responsibility.
- Can effectively adapt to change; can shift gears comfortably; is flexible, and embraces change with a “can-do” attitude.
- Is self-aware; knows personal strengths and weaknesses; seeks feedback and is open to negative feedback as an opportunity for improvement.
- Is cool under pressure; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; is a settling influence during a crisis.
- Recognizes problems, constructively identifies and articulates solutions.
- Picks up garbage when it is seen regardless of position.
- Follows safety guidelines to ensure a safe working environment and consistently demonstrates safe work behaviors.
- Is welcoming of new hires.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- Associates’ degree in automotive technology or equivalent experience as determined by the Garden, required
- Experience in automotive diagnostics required
- Experience with GM vehicles required
- Fabricating and welding experience preferred
- Automatic transmission, automotive air conditioner repair preferred
- Experience with small engine repair and maintenance (for example, hedge trimmer, snow blower, lawn mower) preferred
- Licensed driver insurable by the Chicago Botanic Garden
- Snowplow repair experience preferred
- Electric motor repair and maintenance (for example tram, golf cart) preferred
- Some computer knowledge in order to compose and respond to emails, perform basic internet searches, etc.
*The Chicago Botanic Garden requires that all existing employees be fully COVID vaccinated by October 15, 2021; hires after this date must be fully vaccinated upon hire.*
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.
The Chicago Botanic Garden is a M/F, Disabled, and Vet EEO/AA Employer.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, or basis of disability, or any other federal, state, or local protected class.
In accordance with Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972, the Chicago Botanic Garden does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its programs or activities, including in employment or admissions. Please call (847) 835-8264 to contact our Title IX coordinator should you have questions or concerns.