In this role you will be responsible for the following:
- Develop marketing-focused content that can be used across all channels and mediums, including email, digital, video, mobile, and print, in support of the Chicago Botanic Garden.
- Help develop and execute highly conceptual solutions including print and digital campaigns that involve emails, digital advertising, headlines, landing pages, newsletters, and scripts.
- Tell the stories of the Chicago Botanic Garden through long-form articles, blogs, and other storytelling devices.
- Contribute ideas and content for the Garden’s digital member magazine.
- Research, write, revise, and proof various content while ensuring accuracy of copy and reflecting the Garden’s proper voice and tone.
- Be familiar with The Chicago Manual of Style and use those rules, along with those in the Garden's Style Guidelines, in all communications.
- Contribute to a team effort by collaborating on ideas and ways to reach target audiences.
- Manage multiple assignments simultaneously, attend related meetings, and work efficiently and effectively within deadlines.
- Work with the director of Content and Editorial to ensure copy tone and style are consistent.
Key Garden competencies/behaviors desired:
- Communicates in a manner that gains the trust and support of others at all levels.
- Works effectively with others despite differences of opinion and style; builds alliances.
- Has a tolerance for opposing points of view.
- Strives for collaboration. Works cooperatively, as a positive contributor to the team.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude and shows kindness in all workplace interactions.
- Makes decisions appropriate for level of responsibility.
- Can effectively adapt to change; can shift gears comfortably; is flexible, and embraces change with a “can-do” attitude.
- Is self-aware; knows personal strengths and weaknesses; seeks feedback and is open to negative feedback as an opportunity for improvement.
- Is cool under pressure; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; is a settling influence during a crisis.
- Recognizes problems, constructively identifies and articulates solutions.
- Picks up garbage when it is seen regardless of position.
- Follows safety guidelines to ensure a safe working environment and consistently demonstrates safe work behaviors.
- Is welcoming of new hires.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, journalism, or related field.
- At least five years of writing experience in marketing, journalism, or communications; agency experience is a plus.
- Must be an excellent writer across marketing channels. Ability to write editorial copy for magazines and blog posts strongly desired.
- Must be a critical thinker who can devise insightful questions and creative approaches to assignments and problem solving across all platforms.
- Proficiency in Google Docs, Microsoft Office Word, and Excel.
- Experience in content advertising, search engine optimization, keywords, etc.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, with attention to detail.
- Strong conceptual thinker with proven ability to translate a marketing strategy into compelling creative concepts.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, effectively juggle different writing demands, and work on deadline.
- Able to respond positively to feedback.
- Team player who can work and communicate effectively with graphic and web designers, on interdepartmental teams, and with senior staff.
- Strong problem-solving skills and detail oriented.
*The Chicago Botanic Garden requires all existing employees to be fully COVID-19 vaccinated by October 15, 2021; hires after this date must be fully vaccinated upon hire or may request a medical/religious exemption after an offer is extended.*
TO APPLY: Click here to Apply
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.
The Chicago Botanic Garden is a M/F, Disabled, and Vet EEO/AA Employer.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
In accordance with Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972, the Chicago Botanic Garden does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its programs or activities, including in employment or admissions. Please call (847) 835-8264 to contact our Title IX coordinator should you have questions or concerns.