In this role, you will be responsible for the following:
- Supervising preparation of payroll to ensure accuracy and timeliness, including inputting of payroll data and use of automated systems (e.g. ADP).
- Ensuring compliance with applicable federal and state employment tax, and wage and hour laws.
- Monitoring compliance with department and organizational policies and procedures, and recommending revisions as appropriate.
- Demonstrating expertise in functional areas and leverageing knowledge and skills to achieve results.
- Managing the workflow of the functional areas of the Accounting department: Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll, and financial reporting.
- Reviewing and approving documentation to support processing of accounts payable disbursements.
- Preparing schedules and workpapers.
- Complying with contractual and regulatory requirements.
- Responding on a timely basis to departmental inquiries related to accounting and financial reporting issues.
- Assisting in the preparation of reports to monitor status of government grants, projects, restricted contributions and contracts, including compliance with financial requirements. Providing accounting information to other departments as requested.
- Setting performance objectives for direct reports and employing new approaches.
- Coordinating cross-training to improve efficiency and smooth operations.
- Adhering to established quality and performance improvement standards.
- Working effectively with others to accomplish goals and resolve problems.
- Ensuring customer satisfaction by developing, improving, monitoring, and delivering excellent services.
- Professionally representing the organization.
- Contributing positively as part of the Accounting team and throughout the Garden.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration.
- Five years of accounting experience, with a minimum of two years in a nonprofit organization.
- Minimum of three years of experience managing a payroll function, including the use of an automated payroll system (e.g. ADP).
- Must have extensive knowledge of general ledger software (e.g. Blackbaud's Financial Edge).
- Must have strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office products, not limited to Excel.
- Extensive understanding of employment tax and wage and hour laws.
- Experience with government grant accounting and requirements a plus.
- Spanish speaking a plus.
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.