In this role you will be responsible for the following:
- Maintain a good working relationship with Legends South residents, management team of Legends South, and Windy City Harvest staff.
- Manage the allotment garden space and assist with the production farm at Legends South. This includes landscaping, equipment upkeep, record keeping, and general crop cultivation.
- Plan and oversee standard sustainable growing methods and implement new site-specific techniques as appropriate.
- Oversee purchase and inventory of supplies and materials.
- Maintain and manage a system for tool storage and checkout of tools.
- Plan and manage schedule of events, including monthly community potlucks, cooking demos, and general workshops.
- Serve as primary contact for community garden workdays, access, and maintenance issues.
- Act as a resource for program information for project partners, community members, Chicago Botanic Garden staff, and media.
- Work with Legends South incubator coordinator to determine use of space in allotment garden and maintain production at Legends South Incubator Farm.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- Well versed experience in vegetable production and general landscaping
- Practice with community coordination and engagement including running workshops and events
- Degree in horticulture or related subject is desired
- Capability to work independently and at a fast pace
- Ability to work weekends and evenings if necessary
- A valid driver's license and access to reliable transportation
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.