The Farm on Ogden is designed as a community hub—a farm and learning space for Lawndale Christian Health Center patients, community residents, and urban farm entrepreneurs. Located in North Lawndale, the building will include a large-scale hydroponics/aquaponics system to support year-round fish and leafy greens production and training, a commercial kitchen/micro-processing center to prepare vegetables and develop value-added products distributed through an indoor community market, cold storage to assist with managing the aggregation and distribution of more than 130,000 pounds of produce, an enclosed produce-packing station to professionalize food safety and post-harvest produce handling, offices for Windy City Harvest staff, and a large multipurpose community space for classes, nutrition education, food demonstrations, and produce-box pickup. The Farm on Ogden will create jobs for youth and individuals with barriers to employment, offer increased training capacity, support small farm businesses, and position Windy City Harvest and Lawndale Christian Health Center to deliver a Food as Medicine program to address health in community.
In this role, you will be responsible for the following:
- Work as part of the sales team to ensure efficiency in sales and Windy City Harvest produce aggregation to meet sales goal.
- Assist with farm production tasks including the following: bed preparation, seedling production, planting, watering, weeding, cultivating, and harvesting.
- Train participants and staff in proper harvest and post-harvest handling procedures following Windy City Harvest safety protocols and specific packing requirements.
- Assist with general site maintenance and cleanliness.
- Work with growers and coordinators on harvest availability and estimate yields in the field.
- Aggregate produce orders and generate accurate packing slips during deliveries.
- Inspect all produce and vehicles when picking up at Windy City Harvest sites and prior to delivery to wholesale customers.
- Ensure quality, timeliness and accuracy in all aspects of restaurant and wholesale ordering, sales and delivery.
- Transport all packed produce to market and wholesale vendors, unload and set up market stands using methods that maintain high-quality standards as needed.
- Follow a delivery and pick up route.
- Follow Windy City Harvest fleet standards.
- Report quality issues to the sales supervisor and effectively communicate with the sales team.
- Comply with safety procedures and report unsafe conditions to management.
- Assist and lead crews with produce box pack-outs and produce case aggregation.
- Assist with daily activities at Farm on Ogden as needed.
- Promote Windy City Harvest sales, special events, and courses on social media.
- Act as a resource for program information and project partners, community members, Garden staff, and media as required.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- Farming and sales experience
- Have a positive attitude and creative mindset.
- Detail-oriented, dependable, flexible, and punctual
- Comfortable using math skills in busy settings
- Good oral and written communication skills, including ability to professionally communicate with clients, customers, visitors, volunteers, employer contacts, and funders
- Available to work weekends as necessary
- Comfortable managing and engaging people with different cultural backgrounds and experiences
- Valid driver's license with a clean driving record
- Comfortable driving large vehicles
- Able to work independently and promblem solve
- Familiarity with harvest and post-harvest handling procedures
- Able to enforce high-quality control for produce
- Windy City Harvest graduate preferred
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.