In this role you will be responsible for the following:
- General landscape maintenance including planting and transplanting, pruning trees and shrubs, watering, mulching, mowing, grooming, raking, hoeing, digging, chipping brush, weeding, fertilizing, deadheading, and edging.
- General cleanup and equipment maintenance such as picking up trash and compost, removing refuse, tidying up tool and equipment storage areas, cleaning paths, and sharpening and maintaining tools and equipment.
- Safely operate small equipment such as golf carts, leaf blowers, mowers, chainsaws, rototillers, and weed-eaters.
- Report any tool or equipment problems to the supervisor of grounds.
- Keep tools, supplies, vehicles, and work areas clean and organized.
- Assist indoors with projects such as equipment maintenance, shop organization, and greenhouse work when weather prohibits outdoor work.
- Work safely without injury to self, others, property, or plants.
- Interact daily with staff, volunteers, and the public in a friendly and respectful manner.
- Assist the horticulture department with support for special events and other projects as needed.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- General knowledge of small tools and equipment preferred.
- Some landscape maintenance experience preferred.
- A valid driver's license and insurable by the Chicago Horticultural Society is preferred but not required.
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.