To maintain the day-to-day accounting functions of the Chicago Botanic Garden (CBG) and assist in reporting financial information while maintaining or improving internal accounting controls and efficiency.
In this role, you will be responsible for the following:
- Monitor and maintain the general ledger, including cash receipts, accounts receivable, accounts payable, and cash disbursements journals.
- Recommend to the controller policies and procedures to ensure the accuracy of accounting records while maintaining or improving internal controls and efficiency of staff.
- Advise the controller on unusual and significant transactions. Review daily reports and prepare the monthly close. Analyze monthly departmental and Garden-wide financial reports. for deviation from budget and emerging trends. Assist the controller in the preparation of reports to management and the Board.
- Respond in a timely manner to departmental inquires related to accounting and financial reporting issues.
- Assist in the preparation of reports to monitor status of grants, projects, restricted contributions, and contracts, including compliance with financial requirements. Provide accounting information to other departments as requested.
- Assist in the preparation and file in a timely manner tax returns required by federal and state authorities.
- Assist in all aspects of financial reporting, training, and special projects as assigned.
- Oversight of multiple priorities while meeting strict deadlines.
- Maintain effective communication with internal and external customers.
KEY GARDEN COMPENTENCIES/BEHAVIORS DESIRED
- Communicates in a manner that gains the trust and support of others at all levels.
- Works effectively with others despite differences of opinion and style; builds alliances.
- Has a tolerance for opposing points of view.
- Strives for collaboration. Works cooperatively, as a positive contributor to the team.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude and shows kindness in all workplace interactions.
- Makes decisions appropriate for level of responsibility.
- Can effectively adapt to change; can shift gears comfortably; is flexible, and embraces change with a “can-do” attitude.
- Is self-aware; knows personal strengths and weaknesses; seeks feedback and is open to negative feedback as an opportunity for improvement.
- Is cool under pressure; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; is a settling influence during a crisis.
- Recognizes problems, constructively identifies and articulates solutions.
- Follows safety guidelines to ensure a safe working environment and consistently demonstrates safe work behaviors.
- Is welcoming of new hires.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting—CPA and/or MBA a plus
- Minimum of three years of accounting experience; not-for-profit accounting experience a plus
- Knowledge of accounting and reporting software (e.g. Financial Edge), as well as Microsoft Office products, not limited to Excel
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.
In accordance with Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972, the Chicago Botanic Garden does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its programs or activities, including in employment or admissions. Please call (847) 835-8264 to contact our Title IX coordinator should you have questions or concerns.