In this role, you will be responsible for the following:
- Follow crop plan seeding and harvest schedule.
- Implement aquaponics production schedule.
- Support with educational three-day seminars and one-day workshops (24 days/year).
- Creating a positive team environment around harvest, processing, seeding, and maintenance with Corps crews.
- Oversee adjacent youth farm crop plan, production schedule, and seasonal grower.
- Work closely with sales team on projecting availability of crops and aquaculture.
- Run daily aquaponics system maintenance, including water tests, feeding fish, cleaning filters, etc.
- Responsible for daily record keeping of aquaponics system.
- Responsible for the daily upkeep of aquaponics system and greenhouse.
- Purchase and maintain all aquaponics production equipment, tools, IPM, and post-harvest supplies.
- Assist the manager, director, corps crew leader, and aquaponics specialist in other areas as directed.
- Provide tours and media content as requested.
Key Garden competencies/behaviors desired
- Communicates in a manner that gains the trust and support of others at all levels.
- Works effectively with others despite differences of opinion and style; builds alliances.
- Has a tolerance for opposing points of view.
- Strives for collaboration. Works cooperatively, as a positive contributor to the team.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude and shows kindness in all workplace interactions.
- Makes decisions appropriate for level of responsibility.
- Can effectively adapt to change; can shift gears comfortably; is flexible, and embraces change with a “can-do” attitude.
- Is self-aware; knows personal strengths and weaknesses; seeks feedback and is open to negative feedback as an opportunity for improvement.
- Is cool under pressure; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; is a settling influence during a crisis.
- Recognizes problems, constructively identifies and articulates solutions.
- Picks up garbage when it is seen regardless of position.
- Follows safety guidelines to ensure a safe working environment and consistently demonstrates safe work behaviors.
- Is welcoming of new hires.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- Minimum one-year controlled environment production growing experience.
- Minimum two years other production farming experience.
- Out of three years' growing experience, one year must be supervisory.
- Ability to manage growing operations year-round of an aquaponics farm.
- Experienced in projecting availability, running harvests, and following crop plans.
- Able to adhere to food safety standards.
- Experience training and managing individuals from varied backgrounds and skill levels.
- Produce Safety Alliance Grower Food Safety certification preferred.
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
In accordance with Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972, the Chicago Botanic Garden does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its programs or activities, including in employment or admissions. Please call (847) 835-8264 to contact our Title IX coordinator should you have questions or concerns.