In this role, you will be responsible for the following:
- Lead and oversee integrated social media and public relations campaigns aligned with Garden’s goals and initiatives.
- Manage and develop social marketing specialist and public relations manager.
- Cultivate and enhance collaborative working relationships within the press and media community, increasing audience awareness. Secure strategic media placement building corporate reputation and business goals.
- Oversee Garden social media platforms including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest, Snapchat, etc.
- Design and continually evolve social media, public relations, and influencer strategy to drive revenue, brand awareness, and audience engagement.
- Expand the Garden's social media reach, driving greater relevance and engagement, and maintaining favorable audience sentiment.
- Oversee social media and public relations’ reporting to key stakeholders; articulate insights, trends, and key learning.
- Oversee community management, being the voice of the Garden and escalating opportunities for thought leadership, engagement, and crisis management to appropriate people.
- Identify new social media outlets, PR channels, and innovative ideas that could benefit the Garden.
Key Garden competencies/behaviors desired
- Communicates in a manner that gains the trust and support of others at all levels.
- Works effectively with others despite differences of opinion and style; builds alliances.
- Has a tolerance for opposing points of view.
- Strives for collaboration. Works cooperatively, as a positive contributor to the team.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude and shows kindness in all workplace interactions.
- Makes decisions appropriate for level of responsibility.
- Can effectively adapt to change; can shift gears comfortably; is flexible, and embraces change with a “can-do” attitude.
- Is self-aware; knows personal strengths and weaknesses; seeks feedback and is open to negative feedback as an opportunity for improvement.
- Is cool under pressure; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; is a settling influence during a crisis.
- Recognizes problems, constructively identifies and articulates solutions.
- Picks up garbage when it is seen regardless of position.
- Follows safety guidelines to ensure a safe working environment and consistently demonstrates safe work behaviors.
- Is welcoming of new hires.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- Ten years of public relations and communications experience, with five years’ experience demonstrating leadership across all current social media platforms
- Agency and/or in-house experience preferred
- Must demonstrate tangible success in public relations and social media, generating strategic, positive media, influencer coverage, and community engagement that drove growth
- Demonstrated success building a strong social media marketing strategy using social media and SEO
- Knowledge and demonstration of developing content that works best on each social media platform
- Currently established relationships with and experience gaining coverage from major regional and national media outlets
- Self-motivated and resourceful with the ability to independently manage projects and lead a team
- B.A. in public relations, communications, marketing, journalism, or related field; M.A./M.B.A preferred
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.
In accordance with Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972, the Chicago Botanic Garden does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its programs or activities, including in employment or admissions. Please call (847) 835-8264 to contact our Title IX coordinator should you have questions or concerns.