In this role you will be responsible for the following:
- Perform daily and weekly routine cleaning and custodial maintenance on building facilities.
- Remove trash and collect recyclables from all designated areas in the Garden.
- Set up and take down props and equipment and clean up after special events, classes, shows, parties, symposia, etc.
- Receive, document, and distribute deliveries from specified dock areas to all areas on the grounds.
- Pick up and deliver various items from all buildings on the grounds and storage areas off and on the grounds.
- Undertake special cleaning projects including cleaning carpets, waxing floors, scrubbing walls, and cleaning glass.
- Remove snow and use ice melt on sidewalks, porticoes, driveways, stairways, and pedestrian entrances.
- Assist the manager of Custodial Services in other areas as required.
Key Garden competencies/behaviors desired
- Communicates in a manner that gains the trust and support of others at all levels.
- Works effectively with others despite differences of opinion and style; builds alliances.
- Has a tolerance for opposing points of view.
- Strives for collaboration. Works cooperatively, as a positive contributor to the team.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude and shows kindness in all workplace interactions.
- Makes decisions appropriate for level of responsibility.
- Can effectively adapt to change; can shift gears comfortably; is flexible, and embraces change with a “can-do” attitude.
- Is self-aware; knows personal strengths and weaknesses; seeks feedback and is open to negative feedback as an opportunity for improvement.
- Is cool under pressure; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; is a settling influence during a crisis.
- Recognizes problems, constructively identifies and articulates solutions.
- Picks up garbage when it is seen regardless of position.
- Follows safety guidelines to ensure a safe working environment and consistently demonstrates safe work behaviors.
- Is welcoming of new hires.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- High school diploma
- Two years of custodial experience
- Ability to operate floor equipment
- Licensed driver insurable by the Chicago Horticultural Society
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.
In accordance with Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972, Chicago Botanic Garden does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its programs or activities, including in employment or admissions. Please call (847) 835-8264 to contact our Title IX Coordinator should you have questions or concerns.