Building Engineer 1
In this role you will be responsible for the following:
• Work independently and as a member of a team.
• Monitor, control, and schedule building and lighting systems using Honeywell building automation system on- and off-site.
• Perform regular maintenance and repair of building systems including HVAC, electrical, emergency generators, and plumbing systems.
• Oversee Building Engineers 2, 3, and 4 and work with supervisor to schedule maintenance routines as needed.
• Design and purchase materials for repairs and new projects that may arise.
• Develop and maintain relationships with outside suppliers and service companies.
• Manage maintenance supply inventories.
• Respond in a timely manner to Garden emergencies as needed (relative to these systems), may include calls on nights and weekends.
• Work evenings and weekends as assigned to cover special events.
• Report to the Manager, Buildings and Hospitality and assist in other areas as directed.
Key Garden competencies/behaviors desired
• Communicates in a manner that gains the trust and support of others at all levels.
• Works effectively with others despite differences of opinion and style; builds alliances.
• Has a tolerance for opposing points of view.
• Strives for collaboration. Works cooperatively, as a positive contributor to the team.
• Demonstrates a positive attitude and shows kindness in all workplace interactions.
• Makes decisions appropriate for level of responsibility.
• Can effectively adapt to change; can shift gears comfortably; is flexible, and embraces change with a "can-do" attitude.
• Is self-aware; knows personal strengths and weaknesses; seeks feedback and is open to negative feedback as an opportunity for improvement.
• Is cool under pressure; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; is a settling influence during a crisis.
• Recognizes problems, constructively identifies and articulates solutions.
• Picks up garbage when it is seen regardless of position.
• Follows safety guidelines to ensure a safe working environment and consistently demonstrates safe work behaviors.
• Is welcoming of new hires.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
• Five years' experience in building engineering field.
• Strong knowledge of HVAC systems and their controls including VFDs.
• Experience with plumbing, electrical, carpentry and other areas of construction.
• Operational experience in lighting, panelboards, transformers, and back-up generators (permanent and portable).
• Capable of running multiple crews.
• Experience in snow plowing.
• Licensed driver insurable by the Chicago Botanic Garden
*The Chicago Botanic Garden requires all existing employees to be fully COVID-19 vaccinated by October 15, 2021; hires after this date must be fully vaccinated upon hire or may request a medical/religious exemption after an offer is extended.*
Apply for Building Engineer I using the link below:
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.
The Chicago Botanic Garden is a M/F, Disabled, and Vet EEO/AA Employer.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
In accordance with Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972, the Chicago Botanic Garden does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its programs or activities, including in employment or admissions. Please call (847) 835-8264 to contact our Title IX coordinator should you have questions or concerns.