In this role you will be responsible for the following:
- Lead crews under the direction of the Horticulturist or Senior Horticulturist and perform general landscape maintenance and installation including weeding, mulching, watering, deadheading, grooming perennials, fertilizing, planting, removing debris, pruning, edging, mowing, and maintaining tools.
- Respond to public and staff questions for general information.
- Provide current information to the horticulturists regarding plant accessions, removals, transfers and label requirements. Label plants and assist with installation of accession tags.
- Inform the horticulturists of disease and insect, weed, and animal problems.
- Assist with special events.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- Completed a horticulture training program or taken classes in gardening with experience in landscape maintenance and installation.
- The ability to lead a small crew in maintaining gardens.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.