In this role, you will be responsible for the following:
- Maintain assigned gardens through weeding, watering, deadheading, fertilizing, planting, removing debris, pruning, edging, mowing, mulching, winterizing, removing snow, and maintaining and inventorying tools.
- Assist with the maintenance of the Visitor Center, parking lots, Link, Grunsfeld Children's Growing Garden, Kleinman Family Cove, and Nature Play Garden.
- Safely operate small equipment such as mowers, rototillers, sod cutters, leaf blowers, snow blowers, and weed whips.
- Develop designs and select and order plants for annual and permanent displays with approval of the executive vice president and director of the garden and the director of horticulture.
- Provide current information to the supervisor, plant records, regarding plant accessions, removals, transfers, and label requirements for display plants. Label this plant material in a timely manner and assist with installing accession tags.
- Inform the supervisor, plant health care of disease, insect, animal, and weed problems.
- Serve as a horticultural resource for the Garden by leading tours, giving demonstrations, answering visitor and staff questions, and serving on planning teams.
- Maintain a good level of computer literacy for purposes of interdepartmental documentation and communication.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- Associate's degree in horticulture or equivalent
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- A valid driver's license and be insurable by the Garden
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.