In this role you will be responsible for the following:
- Process all cash and credit card transactions received at the Garden, online and at various remote locations. Reconcile sales reports to cash receipts and input all receipts into accounting financial software. Prepare daily deposits through cash receipt system and through ticketing and gift recording software used throughout the organization.
- Prepare, record, and send quarterly invoices to Garden’s operational partners.
- Record wire transfers to input into accounting system. May require investigation on purpose of funds or source of the transfer.
- Reconcile Smart Safe deposits to reports and bank. Reconcile accounts receivable and other general ledger accounts.
- Prepare schedules in Excel of sales activity and import into accounting software accounts payable or accounts receivable modules.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and year-end journals, assist with monthly financial reports and preparation of related audit schedules.
- Manage corporate P-card expense reporting program. Train cardholders and supervisors on access and functionality for expense reporting and approvals. Review coding and receipts for appropriateness and completion.
- Assist with financial reporting and analysis on request. Assist with complex financial dashboards and supportive data-tracking schedules.
Key Garden competencies/behaviors desired:
- Communicates in a manner that gains the trust and support of others at all levels.
- Works effectively with others despite differences of opinion and style; builds alliances.
- Has a tolerance for opposing points of view.
- Strives for collaboration. Works cooperatively, as a positive contributor to the team.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude and shows kindness in all workplace interactions.
- Makes decisions appropriate for level of responsibility.
- Can effectively adapt to change; can shift gears comfortably; is flexible, and embraces change with a “can-do” attitude.
- Is self-aware; knows personal strengths and weaknesses; seeks feedback and is open to negative feedback as an opportunity for improvement.
- Is cool under pressure; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; is a settling influence during a crisis.
- Recognizes problems, constructively identifies and articulates solutions.
- Picks up garbage when it is seen regardless of position.
- Follows safety guidelines to ensure a safe working environment and consistently demonstrates safe work behaviors.
- Is welcoming of new hires.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- Minimum of three to five years of work experience in accounting
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills and excellent communication skills
- Intermediate to advanced skills in Excel and computerized accounting system required
- Knowledge of Financial Edge, Raiser’s Edge, and ADP Payroll Processing System a plus
*Chicago Botanic Garden requires all existing employees be fully COVID vaccinated by October 15, 2021; hires post this date must be fully vaccinated upon hire.*
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.
The Chicago Botanic Garden is a M/F, Disabled, and Vet EEO/AA Employer.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
In accordance with Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972, the Chicago Botanic Garden does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its programs or activities, including in employment or admissions. Please call (847) 835-8264 to contact our Title IX coordinator should you have questions or concerns.