At The Garden — Employment
Employment at the Chicago Botanic Garden
Requistion Numbers 140 A&B
TITLE: Volunteer Facilitator, Butterflies & Blooms Exhibition
PURPOSE: This part-time, seasonal position oversees and facilitates the Interpretive Programs volunteers and supports operational aspects in the Butterflies & Blooms exhibition. This tented, but exposed to outdoor conditions, summer exhibition features a butterfly garden where visitors can immerse themselves with hundreds of live butterflies and moths.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with each day's Butterflies & Blooms Interpretive Programs volunteers; greet each of two shifts; get volunteers updated each day; get them placed and ensure volunteers rotate positions and get adequate breaks. Interact with volunteers throughout two daily shifts.
- Ensure that volunteer positions are covered each day; work with staff to keep volunteer schedule up-to-date and to fill vacancies.
- Mentor/coach volunteers as needed.
- Know USDA-regulated exhibition protocol; assist visitors and volunteers in following exhibition rules.
- Gain basic subject matter competency on the butterflies, moths, and plants in the exhibition.
- Interact with visitors; assist with welcoming visitors, answering questions and facilitating a positive visitor experience.
- Communicate daily with Horticulture staff for pupa arrivals and exhibition updates.
- Report any operational problems to staff.
- Prepare and maintain supplies.
- Participate in volunteer trainings; assist manager in developing continuing education activities for volunteers.
- Attend meetings and assist with other duties as needed.
- Exhibition open daily; weekday and weekend work required.
DEPARTMENT: Interpretive Programs
REPORTS TO: Manager, Interpretive Programs
- Experience working with volunteers and in a public setting; excellent people skills.
- Demonstrated leadership, organizational and communication skills; ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to be in a live butterfly exhibition and to learn about the butterflies, moths, and plants in the exhibition.
- Basic computer skills including Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.
Position requires being outdoors in varying weather conditions such as heat, sun, and rain. Ability to stand for extended periods of time; walk to the exhibition and various buildings on the Garden campus; bend, stoop, and lift moderate weight (approximately 15 lbs) also required. Use of office equipment includes primarily computer, telephone, and copier.