Adult Education Classes
Horticultural Therapy Certificate of Merit Program
- Students must be able to lift and carry 25 pounds
- Spend prolonged periods of time walking, standing, sitting, bending as well as pushing and pulling.
- Communicate (in both written and verbal formats) essential information about clients and session plans. This includes the ability to hear client speech, read written directions with comprehension, effectively verbalize instructions and other information, as well as effectively use technology.
- Present proof of health insurance.
- Before the program starts, a copy certifying current vaccinations for Hepatitis B, tetanus, pertussis, and diphtheria as well as a negative TB test administered within 2 months of program initiation must be submitted to the school.
- Students are responsible for understanding and practicing Universal Precautions against body-fluid-borne pathogens.
- Demonstrate the interpersonal skills necessary to interact and communicate effectively with clients, classmates, staff and others.
- Demonstrate organizational and time management skills. Be punctual.
- Take initiative and work independently yet recognize limitations. Regularly accept guidance and supervision from staff.
- Cope in an appropriate manner to commonly encountered stressful situations including those related to disabling conditions.
- Respect professional and personal boundaries.
- Demonstrate respect for diverse cultures.
STUDENT DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES FOR FACE TO FACE SESSIONS
- Care for Enabling Garden horticultural displays, including planting, watering, weeding, deadheading, harvest and use according to direction of the Coordinator.
- Work with Enabling Garden volunteers caring for horticultural displays and participate as docent in interpretive programs.
- Become familiar with supplies, plants, materials, and equipment used in therapeutic activities both on-site and off-site.
- Complete assignments required within timelines provided.
- Communicate questions and concerns directly, respectfully and in a timely manner.