GLENCOE, Ill. (January 13, 2014) – The Illinois Orchid Society will launch the Spring 2014 American Flower Show Series at the Chicago Botanic Garden with an exhibition on March 8 and 9. The event will be held in conjunction with the Orchid Show, a month-long exhibition staged throughout the Regenstein Center from February 15 through March 16.
The American Flower Show Series, a growing national horticultural program, brings together amateur and expert gardeners and educators through exhibits and programs that focus on America’s favorite flower groups. Visitors can discover the best plant varieties to grow in their own home gardens, see the “best of show” plants on display, learn about plant diversity at its finest, buy plants to take home and have their questions answered by the Midwest's leading plant enthusiasts and experts.
Admission is free, but the usual parking restrictions apply. Most shows are held in Burnstein Hall in the Garden's Regenstein Center. Please check www.chicagobotanic.org/plantshows for last-minute schedule changes or call (847) 835-5440.
Flower shows include the following:
- Illinois Orchid Society Show & Sale from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, March 8, and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday, March 9. The show will include displays of orchids from the rarest of species to popular hybrids. Judges from the American Orchid Society will select winners from 128 classes and give a Chicago Horticultural Society Award to the “best in show.” Vendors will sell growing supplies and many varieties of orchids. A repotting service is available for $5.
- Garden Photographic Society Exhibition from Saturday, March 22, to Wednesday, April 16, in the Joutras Gallery. The juried photograph exhibition features 70 to 80 photos of the Chicago Botanic Garden and other nature scenes.
- Gesneriad Show & Sale from noon to 4:30 p.m. on Saturday, March 29, and 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Sunday, March 30. The Northern Illinois Gesneriad Society will present 20 different types of gesneriads, some of the most decorative and widely grown tropical plants. The family includes the African violet (Saintpaulia ionantha) and Cape primrose (Streptocarpus). Experts will give free talks and demonstrations throughout the show to help members of the public learn how to propagate and grow the plants. Cuttings, tubers, rhizomes and plants will be available for sale.
- Midwest Fruit Explorers Grafting Workshop from 1 to 4 p.m. on Sunday, March 30. Grafting supplies, including scion wood, will be sold for a small fee.
- Midwest Daffodil Society Display & Floral Design Show from noon to 4:30 p.m. on Saturday, April 26, and 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Sunday, April 27.
- Glenview/North Shore African Violet Society Display & Sale from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Saturday, May 3, and Sunday, May 4. Approximately 50 different African violets and other members of the gesneriad family will be on display. Society members will be available to answer questions. Plants will be on sale for $7 to $25.
- Central States Dahlia Society Dahlia Sale from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Saturday, May 3, and Sunday, May 4. The show will feature dahlias in a wide array of sizes, shapes and colors. Society members will be on hand to answer questions. Dahlia plants and roots will be available for sale starting at $4.
- American Rhododendron Show & Sale from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Saturday, May 10, and Sunday, May 11. The Midwest Chapter of the American Rhododendron Society will present 100 rhododendron and azalea varieties grown by members. Members will also be available to answer questions. Plants will be available for purchase.
- Midwest Bonsai Society Spring Bonsai Exhibit from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, May 17, and Sunday, May 18. Specially featured will be flowering bonsai, bonsai on rocks and suiseki, the Japanese art of stones. The show will also display trees in various states of development. The event includes free demonstrations and lectures; bonsai trees, raw nursery stock, and supplies will be available for sale. Workshops requiring registration and fees will also be given.
- Northshore Iris and Daylily Society Iris Show & Sale from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Saturday, May 24, and Sunday, May 25. A sale featuring iris and daylily plants will take place both Saturday and Sunday. An exhibition of more than ten floral arrangements and 75 iris blooms will take place on Sunday. Prices range from $3 to $10.
- Northern Illinois Hosta Society Show & Sale from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Saturday, May 31, and Sunday, June 1. The show will present hundreds of cut hosta leaves. An educational workshop will be held each day, and unusual hostas will be available for sale.
- Show of Summer from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, June 21, and Sunday, June 22. A competitive flower show, designed around the theme “Our Kind of Town” will be presented by six Chicago-area garden clubs affiliated with the Garden Club of America.