Fine Art of Fiber – Thursday, November 6, through Sunday November 9, 2014
The area’s oldest and largest fiber art event features an inspiring exhibition of more than 150 pieces of quilting, knitting, weaving and needlework. The Fine Art of Fiber also includes fashion shows, lectures, special exhibitions and boutiques offering a wide variety of items for sale. The event is hosted by three area guilds: Illinois Quilters, Inc., North Suburban NeedleArts Guild and the Weavers Guild of the North Shore. Opening night from 6:30 to 9 p.m. on Thursday, November 6, offers early shopping privileges. The event continues from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday, November 7, through Sunday, November 9. Admission is free. Visit chicagobotanic.org/fiber for the latest information.
Wonderland Express – Friday, November 28, through January 4, 2015
Wonderland Express brings its seasonal charm and holiday magic back to the Chicago Botanic Garden from November 28, 2014, through January 4, 2015. Sparkling outdoor lights, evergreens and blooms, an indoor model train exhibition and special events make Wonderland Express a beloved Chicago holiday tradition for visitors of all ages and interests.
Wonderland Express is open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. with the following exceptions: It will close at 3 p.m. on December 4 and 24, and at 1 p.m. on December 12. The exhibition is closed all day December 25, though the Garden grounds will remain open to visitors.
Tickets may be purchased online or at the Visitor Center beginning October 14, 2014, and are sold on a timed basis. Admission is $12 for adults, and $10 for children ages 3 to 12 and seniors ages 62 and older. Children 2 and younger are admitted free. Members receive $2 off each ticket. Access to the outdoor lighting displays, Greenhouses and Greenhouse Gallery is free.
Special events include seasonal wine, spirits and brews tasting; Hanukkah and Christmas Concerts; Breakfast with Santa; Hot Chocolate with Mrs. Claus; and Family Drop-in Activities:
- Holiday Cheers! Seasonal Tasting – 6 to 8 p.m., Wednesday, December 10, in Burnstein Hall. Visitors 21 years and older can drink in the best of the season as they sample local spirits, wine and winter brews, and enjoy the surroundings of Wonderland Express. Guests receive a wristband, tasting glass, tasting sheet and access to the exhibition. Light fare and drinks will be available for purchase.
- Christmas Breakfast with Santa – 8:30, 9:30 and 10:30 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday, December 13 and 14, in Burnstein Hall and Alsdorf Auditorium. Enjoy a buffet breakfast, visit with Santa and view the exhibition.
- Christmas Concert – 2 and 4 p.m. on Saturday, December 20, in Alsdorf Auditorium. Get into the holiday spirit with traditional holiday musical favorites.
- Hanukkah Concert – 11 a.m. or 1 p.m. on Sunday, December 21, in Alsdorf Auditorium. Enjoy a lively performance from The Maxwell Street Klezmer Band.
- Hot Chocolate with Mrs. Claus – 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. on Monday, December 22, in Burnstein Hall. Enjoy hot chocolate, cookies and a visit with Mrs. Claus.
- Family Drop-In Activities will take place from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., November 28 though 30, December 6 and 7, December 13 and 14, and December 20 though January 4; from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. December 2, 9 and 16; and from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on December 24.
For the latest ticket information go to chicagobotanic.org/wonderland.