Science First is a free summer science program that strives to increase students' knowledge and appreciation of the environment and how scientists study the environment. Students participate in a four-week session that takes place at the Chicago Botanic Garden Monday through Friday. A school bus provides transportation to designated stops starting as early as 7 a.m. to bring students to the Garden by 9 a.m. Students are provided with all materials they need to participate, as well as a free snack and lunch. Students leave the Garden at 3 p.m. each day.
In this role you will be responsible for the following:
- Monitor the Science First/College First students on the bus ride, ensure they behave appropriately, and report any issues to the program manager.
- Organize and prepare materials for laboratory and field sessions, and accompany students on all activities.
- Assist instructors with supervising students during outdoor activities.
- Assist students with their research projects.
- Engage in hands-on activities with the students, under the direction of the instructors.
- Transport lunches from the office to the Science First classroom.
- Distribute snacks.
- Take attendance daily.
- Write and present a lesson to students at the conclusion of the program.
- Assist instructors as needed.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- Demonstrated leadership skills with a minimum of one year of experience in an informal science education program
- Ability to work cooperatively with instructors and other staff
- Willingness to work outdoors
- Willingness to participate in active, hands-on learning
- Must be able to show initiative and take charge when needed
- Bilingual (Spanish) is a plus
- People of color are strongly encouraged to apply
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: we cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.