College First is a high-school internship program at the Chicago Botanic Garden. It is a paid internship for eight weeks during the summer and monthly meetings during the school year. A school bus provides transportation to bring students to the Garden from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday. Students are eligible to receive college credit through Wilbur Wright College, one of the city colleges of Chicago.
In this role, you will be responsible for the following:
- Work with a co-instructor to develop and teach a curriculum emphasizing ecological concepts, environmental science, and the inquiry process.
- Help plan and conduct weekly field trips to supplement the science curriculum and emphasize careers and college.
- Lead daily classroom activities and outdoor science investigations at the Chicago Botanic Garden and off-site.
- Guide students' independent research projects and presentations, which students will present in the last week of the program.
- Act as a liaison with staff at Wilbur Wright College on submitting grades and other paperwork.
- Assist with other program activities as necessary.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- A minimum of three years' combined experience teaching science in formal and/or informal education settings to high-school students
- An ability to conduct outdoor field and conservation science
- Familiarity with computer technology
- Required master's degree in environmental science, biology, or related field
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.