The plants collections specialist will perform literature research, review current collection holdings, determine the availability and nativity of taxa, enter data and transfer information, develop lists of new acquisitions and sources for specialized collections, evaluate plants from foreign expeditions for quantity, health, and provenance-based adaptability, and produce reports.
In this role you will be responsible for the following:
- Perform literature research, review current collection holdings, and determine redundancy, commercial availability, and nativity of taxa.
- Develop a list of new acquisitions and sources for the Garden's plant collections.
- Help evaluate more than 3,300 existing plants from foreign expeditions for quantity, health, locations, and provenance-based adaptability.
- Denote in specialized collections database targeted acquisitions, potential countries/regions, and commercial sources for additions to the specialized collections.
- Conduct "weed risk assesment" for the plants targeted and collected on expeditions.
- Create and produce high-quality reports.
- Other curational duties as assigned.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- A bachelor's degree in horticulture or botany preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Excel software.
- Knowledge of plants required.
- A detail-oriented work ethic with strong communication and organizational skills.
Come work in a setting that is like no other as you support our mission: We cultivate the power of plants to sustain and enrich life. Take the first step toward being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserves of Cook County. Apply today. Please note that applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.