Self-guided field trips allow your students to explore while you lead them through the Chicago Botanic Garden. Science, language arts, literature, history, geography, art, and other subjects can be explored throughout the different gardens.
Field trips are scheduled Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and are available year-round for students and groups of all ages.
There are two options for registering:
Fee: $50 per bus (credit card only).
Pay now using a credit card. The fee is per bus and space each day is limited. Enjoy these benefits of registering through Self-Guided Group Registration:
- Pay only $3 per person on-site for Model Railroad Garden: Landmarks of America (May 25 to October 25, 2015) and Butterflies & Blooms (Memorial Day through Labor Day). Note: Exhibition entry is first-come, first-served and only small chaperone groups will be admitted at a time; receipt must be shown at the ticket booth to receive the discount; on busy days, expect there to be a wait; exhibitions are open, daily weather permitting.
- Access the public picnic area for lunch.
Fee: $50 per bus (check or credit card).
Use the form if you are booking a school tram, a visit to Wonderland Express in December, or prefer to pay by check.
Reserve at least four weeks in advance and enjoy these benefits:
- Reserve a school tram experience April 25 to October 25, 2015.
- Reserve tickets for your group to visit Wonderland Express November 27, 2015 to January 3, 2016.
- Pay only $3 per person on-site for Model Railroad Garden: Landmarks of America (May 25 to October 25, 2015) and Butterflies & Blooms (Memorial Day to Labor Day) by showing your receipt at the ticket booth. Note: Exhibition entry is first-come, first-served and only small chaperone groups will be admitted at a time; receipt must be shown at the ticket booth to receive the discount; on busy days, expect there to be a wait; exhibitions are open, daily weather permitting.
- Access the public picnic area.
- Contact Garden staff to discuss areas of the Garden that would be especially well-suited to your curriculum.
Payment and Reschedules
Your visit is reserved when we receive full payment and you receive a receipt from the Chicago Botanic Garden. If a conflict arises, you may reschedule your visit once within the same season. We are unable to give refunds for cancellations of self-guided field trips.
Please note that, due to construction of the new Education Center and Regenstein Foundation Learning Campus garden, all buses will be directed to parking lot 3 to park and unload, and there may not be a staff person to greet your group.
Gardens to Explore
Gardens especially well-suited for self-guided exploration are highlighted below. Please note the approximate walking distances to each garden, starting from the Visitor Center.
McDonald Woods: 0.25 miles (or less than 0.1 mile from Parking Lot 3)
Dixon Prairie: 1 mile
Main Island Formal Gardens
Elizabeth Hubert Malott Japanese Garden: 0.3 miles
Sensory Garden: 0.25 miles
Buehler Enabling Garden: 0.25 miles
Regenstein Fruit & Vegetable Garden: 0.2 miles
Daniel F. and Ada L. Rice Plant Conservation Science Center
Green roof and indoor interpretation: 0.5 miles