Science First Application
What is Science First?
Science First is a summer science enrichment program that strives to increase students’ knowledge and appreciation of the environment and how scientists study the environment. Students participate in one of two four-week sessions that take place at the Chicago Botanic Garden Monday through Friday, July 15 – August 9. A school bus provides transportation from designated stops starting as early as 7 a.m. to bring students to the Garden by 9 a.m. Students are provided with all materials they need to participate, as well as a free snack and lunch. Students leave the Garden at 3 p.m. each day.
What do students do?
- Learn about plants and talk to scientists who study plants
- Explore our display gardens like the Rose Garden or Fruit & Vegetable Garden
- Learn about the Garden’s natural areas including our prairie, woods, and river
- Learn how to conduct scientific research and prepare a presentation
- Spend a lot of time outside, seeing and doing science
- Meet other science-curious students from throughout Chicago
Who can participate?
Students who are currently in grades 7 through 9 and are enrolled in a Chicago Public School are encouraged to apply. Students and parents MUST commit to all four weeks of the program and agree to provide their own transportation to and from the designated bus stops listed below.
When is the Program?
Both sessions of Science First will take place July 15 – August 9, Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Students will be grouped into two seperate classes. New students in grades 7 and 8 will be in one class and returning students in grades 8 and 9 will be in another class.
Science First Application Checklist
To be considered for the program, the following items must be received by April 26, 2013.
Complete online application, including essay (if applicable)
Scan and email to firstname.lastname@example.org OR mail to the address below:
- Recommendation Form
The recommendation form should be filled out by a science teacher or community leader (pastor, youth group leader, etc.) who knows you well. It cannot be filled out by someone related to you.
- Copy of your second-quarter report card (January) OR the most recent one you have. Please do not submit progress reports.
- Permission Slip signed by you and your parent/guardian.
ALL application materials must be received together by April 26, 2013, via email or at the address below. It is your responsibility to obtain the report card and all application components. We do not work with schools to get this information and will not accept it after the deadline. Incomplete applications—those not accompanied by a report card or completed recommendation form—will not be considered.
- enjoy your visit
- at the garden
- your garden
- support us